RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-07-2006

Dear friends,
I wanted to use our Newsfeed forum to post links to Bill Thayer's new articles at LacusCurtius and my own pieces at Livius.Org, but it appears that making a thread like this is better. So, my very latest piece is on the Limes Tripolitanus, and Bill is currently putting all kinds of things online in what he calls The Antiquaries' Shoebox. If you find factual errors in my articles or "Dutchisms" in my English, never hesitate to correct them.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - conon394 - 09-09-2006

Niffty to see the article by G. M. A. Richter about silk and classical Greece get some exposure at LacusCurtius . Her argument would seem to be even stonger given some of the recent finds of silk fibers in fairly early Egyptian mummies. OT, but Richter was certainly a prodigoius writer, she has something like 400 articles in JSTOR alone and a book list of impresive length to boot...

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-17-2006

I have put online the full text of 2 Maccabees here. 1 Maccabees was already available here.

2 Maccabees is not a very nice text to read, but it has some unexpected delights; I was surprised to discover that at 5.21, the anonymous author even quotes one of Isocrates' remarks on Xerxes!

Bill continues the Antiquary's Shoebox but also put online a children's book on American History

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-21-2006

On Bill's website there's a new page with the text of an article on the Metaurus Campaign: [url:12ulmn8m]http://tinyurl.com/p6e6s[/url]

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-26-2006

The text of Plutarch's treatise On the Failure of the Oracles is now online.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-28-2006

Sandals and sistrums, with some new photos.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-29-2006

An article on a Roman centenarium in Libya: go here. (A centenarium is more or less what along the Rhine and Danube was called a burgus.)

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-30-2006

Here are some pictures of the Arch of Marcus Aurelius in Tripoli. In fact, it is built to commemorate the victories of Lucius Verus. It is not a terribly important or impressive monument, although I am surprised to see that the emperor's chariot is drawn by griffins. I can not remember having seen mythological animals on a Roman triumphal arch.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 10-07-2006

Today, I added an article on the battle of Ipsus.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - D B Campbell - 10-07-2006

Quote:The Arch of Marcus Aurelius in Tripoli.
Splendid, Jona! I've never seen this particular monument before.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 10-08-2006

Continuing my series of pictures from Libya, here are several photos of the limes castle at Gheriat el-Garbia. To be honest, Bu Njem is more interesting, but still, Gheriat el-Garbia is not without interest.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 10-12-2006

On October 5, 2006 David Camden's "Forum Romanum", after a run of nearly 10 years providing a very useful index to Latin literature online, and many of the texts themselves, suddenly disappeared.

Bill has been able to save some of the texts and will gradually put them online. The first of these is Aulus Gellius' Noctes Atticae (only in Latin).

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Praefectusclassis - 10-12-2006

Did you guys try to save more through the Internet Web Archive or google's cache?

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 10-12-2006

Quote:Did you guys try to save more through the Internet Web Archive or google's cache?
Probably Bill did so, but I've sent him a reminder.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Kate Gilliver - 10-12-2006

Does anyone know what happened to Forum Romanum? It's tragic that such a superb resource has gone - is it permanent?