Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
There's only one thing worse than proofreading, and that's indexing. I once indexed a schoolbook on American history; it was in the late 1970s well before the full use of computers, and it was horrible: I've never been able to use an index card since.

Three items today on Tentacle-Baby, curiously related:
  • "Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned"
    Allen's Star Names: Lyra
    Fidicula from Daremberg & Saglio's Dictionnaire des Antiquités grecques et romaines (one of the links in that article that I was unable to pop in, by the way, was Letter 148 of Synesius)
The Daremberg & Saglio item is in English (my own translation); otherwise, since the entire Dictionary is online courtesy of the Université de Toulouse Le Mirail, it would be pointless. Not everyone reads French, however; since D&S is far better than Smith's Dictionary, I'll be translating an article from it from time to time. No, I'm not about to sit down and translate all 10 volumes.

The Osiris-Typhon myth was a canvas for all kinds of things in Late Antiquity; among them, the legend of St. George, in the ground-breaking if a bit breathless and, well, French paper by Clermont-Ganneau, Horus et Saint Georges d'après un bas-relief inédit du Louvre.

Finally, unrelated to anything, but brand new online yesterday and a useful text for some: my partner James (who hosts my site one level down from his) is starting to put up Aelian's Varia Historia; which is online, partially, at Augustana — but in Greek. So, the English translation of the Varia Historia by Stanley; index page is just a placeholder, but Books 1-3 are complete, or at least as complete as Stanley published them: 17th century, so bowdlerized in spots.

Bill

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Bill Thayer - 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM