Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Ammian, continued: Book 16, which will likely find favor on this board since it deals with wars along the German limes; and the very useful Index of Officials.

Books 15 and 16 are already online elsewhere, mind you — though none of the others are — so that it seemed at first to be wasted effort. But in preparing my own transcription, saving some time by starting from the one at MIT and/or its cribs around the Web, I quickly realized that they'd (a) kissed off the notes; (b) stripped out the page numbers; ©Â failed to insert local links.
   In addition, it had to be very carefully proofread, both for the occasional mistake of its own: Augst for example was referred to as Angst at one point; and a few lines later,
      "they would have driven back"
turned out in fact to be
      "they would have sacked and burned the town, had they not been driven back" (line skipped); and the occasional mistake in the print edition: Loeb not known for its proofreading. . . .
   So finally it wasn't quite as much a waste of time as that.

Still remain to be popped in: the cross-links between the Latin and the English; and of course, a number of links to as yet un-entered Books don't work. Since I'm committed to doing all of it, it was simpler and faster to pop in the links, and let them become valid as the remaining Books go onsite.

BT

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Bill Thayer - 06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM