Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
I was wondering on which side the pink bunny was.... :wink:

Great job to everybody involved in the event, it was worth the looong way.
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
At first I was laughing about the pink rabbit, too. My fellow germanics quickly went for this supper addition. But when later I found out what the message of this demonstration was, I feel a bit sad. Have a look at [url:tm1k2ll8]http://www.pink-rabbit.org/[/url] and find out. They hit the wrong event.

ghandi
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
@ P. Sertorius Scaevola
Yepp, that Republican Scutum is a really good choice. I´m nearly 2m tall, and a normal rectangular scutum fits not really to me, but the republican one protect me from my ankle to my shoulders (on saturday, i used for really short time one of these small oval Scuta from Coh II Praetoria, but it was to small for me.....).
With the republican one, i attacked the germanics and hit the first with a nice upwards pointed thrust, the second goes to the ground after i hit him (a little bit to hard) in the shoulder! But the 2 others make short work with me, because i was hit from the first during i blocked a spearthrust from the second!
Those Javelins even fly into the Publikum and hit some visitors, and even when they fly shorter, they hit the roman civillians.

I heard only from the Duracell-Rabbit, but that what i heard sounds to me as a real stupid reason to demonstrate against nationalism. But, maybe this women find the place, a Anti-War-Museum, was the right one for such a Demonstration :roll:
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:At first I was laughing about the pink rabbit, too. My fellow germanics quickly went for this supper addition. But when later I found out what the message of this demonstration was, I feel a bit sad. Have a look at [url:tx64hlrf]http://www.pink-rabbit.org/[/url] and find out. They hit the wrong event.

ghandi

Hunting a big animals two years ago... :wink:
[Image: 1860]
Picture taken by Bullenwächter
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I was there too. 33 persons from Poland participated in the event as Legio XIIII GMV and as project called Iron Roots. It was a really great experience for us to familiarize with such presentation of the battle. It was really great work for education in my opinion and especially really nice time to meet other reanactors from Germanic and Roman groups. Special thanks to our neighbours at the camp - Hermunduri and the Chief of the Roman camp - Uwe. We had the worst place according to the rain because we tented in the stream valley, near the "iron bridge", however a swamp created by the Friday`s storm was not a border hard to pass by visitors as we recognized Smile
But first of all I want to thank Ghandi for hospitality, patience and a really great work done with other members of Comitatus. In spite of many disadvantages connected with the organization phase of the event, we are really satisfied that we finally had an opportunity to be there this special time with all these unusual people. Hopefully Polish participation was worth Robert`s suggestions and work. This time I was a Germanic tribe member then thanks to all Romans "killed" in the battle :wink: . I noticed that Italian legionaires were a really good actors during the performance Big Grin
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

"ANTIQUITAS" OFFICINA ARTIS CRETARIAE

http://www.antiquitas.pl
[Image: ANTIQUITAS_logo_smaller.jpg]
Wow! Back from Varus Desaster! Thanks to all the Romans on the field: it was great fun to fight you! Sorry for the one kill I ignored, but I was on charge and had to move my folks back to the wall after the attack, so I couldn't die that moment. Believe me, I died often enough, when the script allowed it! If it comforts you: in these four days I broke about ninety roman legs with my handy club, no one reacted to it, because their brains didn't expect any actions under their shields. Maybe they thought it was just some obstacle, but I can't strike that hard, that they REALLY feel it. Too dangerous. So what.

Feedback: I'm happy to have been there. I could tell some 50 things that were bad, beginning with the sanitary / toilets situation, not ending with what had been possible but never has been wanted, straying off to details like plastic covers over Roman tents, modern strawbundles as seats, walls, beds, camps on the Germanic side... and many things I blame the museum, but all in all it was great. I have won very special memories, made friends with some more Romans, have seen again my well known comrades from the Leg.I. It. from Italy and the Vex. Leg. XI. c.p.f. from Switzerland. The Germanic Federation Comitatus was in the end successful, thanks to Ghandi!, and my stubborness of the last four years was not for nothing, my Sueben had a great time and proved themselves worthy.

What I am still missing is the impression of how many we were. I think, I will begin to realize the masses as soon as I have time to look at hundreds of pics and watch several movie clips.

Cheers to all who have been there! Apologies to all, who were sorted out by the very strange circumstances!
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
@ Ulfwin
Yeah, some of us romans, especially those in Lorica Segmentata (like me at sunday), have some problems to "feel" hits in the Thorax area, because the Germanics didn´t hit them really hard with there weapons. You attacked my legs with your club, too, but i didn´t "feel" it, but think that those touches came from shields or legs or "bodys"!
I and all of my comrades in the Legio XI from Switzerland dying a lot of times (and 2 even from there own hands, right before the audience), mostly slaughtered down from 3, 4 or more Germanics! The Germanics fight very Sportsmanlike and even when you´re "dead" and they take your helmet (or try to take the shoes of our Signifer :lol: ) as booty, they ask really friendly and gave it back as soon as possible after the battle.
It was great fun to meet Germanics in there camps or ours at the evening, talk with them and drink wine (36 Ltrs of wine where drunk together in the Praetorian camp during 2 days, but mostly from the Germanics :lol: ). It was nice for me, to meet some old friends and found some new like Messalla (he fell in love with my Carnuntum-Helmet) from Coh II Praetoria from Italy.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:found some new like Messalla (he fell in love with my Carnuntum-Helmet) from Coh II Praetoria from Italy.

He will very soon have his own!! :wink: It is flying today!
Great Big Grin
But the silvered Gallic-A-Helmet, which Messalla used during Kalkriese, was a really nice Helmet.
My Carnuntum is since Kalkriese a little bit...... battered! A over-zealous germanic hit my helmet 3 times with his shield after i fell to the ground, and now there is a dent in the side of the bowl :? , but it´s better as a dent in my head!
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:@ Ulfwin
Yeah, some of us romans, especially those in Lorica Segmentata (like me at sunday), have some problems to "feel" hits in the Thorax area, because the Germanics didn´t hit them really hard with there weapons. You attacked my legs with your club, too, but i didn´t "feel" it, but think that those touches came from shields or legs or "bodys"!

Salve Marce!

s.v.b.e. e.v.

Yes, yes, the good ole problem wid ye Romans, ain't it. Germanic Comitatus had discussed if the use of clubs was to be allowed at all. It's a real weapon, I reckon a hard blow on a galea would not only lead to dent metal, but to whiplash effects or brain concussion. No sharp blade, no penetration of armour necessary to get them off their feet. And the good old bone breaking, of course.
So, I was hit quite hard by some Romans, and myself playing the fierce warrior fought like mock-fighting children. :twisted:
I think, there will always be this mixture: some take a battle like our's as a show, trying to fullfill the script of the authors, others see it as sports, trying to mock-fight better than the enemy. There will always be somenone saying "hey, I killed you, why don't you die!" and somenone "hey, it's only show, why do you strike so hard!" I don't mind. I will keep fighting the air in front of a Roman instead of attacking his vulnerable parts, I'll keep caressing his vulnerable parts with my weapon instead of hitting. Some take the hint, most don't. But it's the getting hot and trying to win, even if sportsman-like, that caused the few accidents (I saw some front teeth needing re-adjusting, heard of a overburdened Roman ribcage, as some freaks had the glorious idea to stack a pile of dead Romans as an obstacle).

I am no whimp, I didn't mind that heavy Roman, add his hamata and all, who tramped on my forearm with his hobnailed shoe whilst retreat, don't mind the bleeding scratches under my receding hairline, but I like the feeling of control. And gods, I had control. The only accident near me, a Roman falling backwards over a dead comrade, I stopped my men within a second, ordered them to go back a man's length. Worked fine. We were looking dangerous, my folks howling under pressure, so that the next Roman officer still thought he had to get us away, but all was safe. Undisciplined Germanic warriors? Hell, yes! But sumtimes I luf me leaders krisma, nay? At times I commanded my own folks from the invisible position of crouching under my and my fellowmens' shields, clubbing Roman feet, but my voice dominating my 16 men. Got a great compliment from the Roman side: "you Sueben guys fight a bit too focused on one enemy ... well, but you. You are a f**ker." For me like a phalera. Big Grin Well, enough padding my own shoulder.
The guy with the loose teeth, I asked him if I should use my whistle and break the show until the paramedics got him out, was quite happy "gno, gno, git's aw awright, I'mg fine" and smiled.

Nevertheless, I prefer fighting as a show, not as competitive sports. I take the Varian Desaster 2009 as a positive example. Romans can trust their enemy. Vice versa, too. The event itself was not too special, but the battle and some moments were. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Cheers,

Hunno Ulfwin, back in his own time 409 A.D.

Edith: edited for typos
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Stefan is right. Probably event could be better, but I think, that the battle was rather OK. With some exceptions of course... :wink: We noticed that some Roman auxiliares on Sunday had an idea to make the performance more real, because two of my friends had got headshots from their hastae and they were not accidentaly rather... But never mind. I participated only in two last battles, but I remember that someone presumed "Polish Germanics" were at first to blame of damaging someone`s helmet the first day of the event? Wasn`t it your helmet Marcus? What did you mean writing "Zoulu" :?: Did you mean his behavior or his apearance :?: Smile
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

@ Andreas
No, it was a german barbarian, not a polish one (he was cut down from two Praetorians right beside me and he appologized for the hits) His behaviour was over-zealous not his appearance, but that was the same with most of us romans.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Well, I understand. Sorry for your helmet damaging. I can understand that especially because sometimes I am an auxiliar from the 3rd century and the cost of the Roman stuff (this high quality I mean) is uncomparable to the Germanic one. However I saw some great impressions of Germanic warriors at Kalkriese with high quality stuff - especially leaders of Germanic tribes.
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

I´m not one of those romans who want a polished equipment whitout a scratch, looking like direct from fabrica, and some dents and scratches gives the pieces a kind of...... charakter. But i don´t wanna that my equipment is heavily damaged after such an event.
To wear a helmet during the fights was a really advantage, because a lot of romans reported headshots and hits to the head, which sometimes hit really hard.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
That means, that probably members of my group were the target of something like revange :wink: Big Grin ) I don`t know how many serious accidents happened. Probably it is rather unpossible to make all the participants to respect the rules of such crowded performance of the battle...
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,119 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania