Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions
Salvete, Roma aeterna vobis salutem dicit .
Let me introduce myself: I am Mauritius Comellus Carliis, member of Vadis Al Maximo the organization that is planning, with the patronage of Roma’s administration, three days of celebrations for the Roman Empire and the return of Ludi Circensis.
The event will be held in Rome in the days 17, 18, 19 October 2009 and will also have in the program:
CORSA DELLE QUADRIGHE al Circo Massimo
The return of the quadriga’s races in its natural environment: the Circus Massimus.
The power of the chariot with 4 horses! The Formula One of antiquity.
MARCIA DELLE LEGIONI al Foro dei Cesari
The first world gathering of the Roman Legions, an invitation to bring back the sound of the legionnaires marching in the Cesar’s Forum after 1,500 years. We invite you all to participate.
TROFEO GLADIATORIS MAXIMUS
Teams of Gladiators will exhibit their fighting techniques, trying to conquer the first world title of Gladiatoris Maximus.
More information can be found on our web site:
[url:342z96yh]http://www.vadisalmaximo.com[/url]
Feel free to contact me anytime for all the questions you may have that I am sure will not be just few.
I renew the invitation to participate in this unique event and I will appreciate if you can take the time to forward this e-mail to all the fellows Romans around the world.
Thank You!
Roma adventum vostrum plauso maximo expectat .
Mauritius Comellus Carliis
[email protected]
Maurizio Comelli
Vadis Al Maximo
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Are you are who?

Please write your real (first) name in your signature (accessed in your profile). It is a forum rule.

Also, I have no doubt that anyone who would like to take you up on your invitation, would like to address you as a business partner with your real name, not by a Roman imaginary name.

Mauritius (for want of a real name), would you please translate your website into English as well? I've noticed that the text on the pages is in Italian, even when I look under the 'English' pages.

Do you really have permission to gather re-enactment groups in the forum? Wow, that would really be something! What's the weather like in Rome in October?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I am sorry about the Latin name.
My real name is Maurizio Comelli, not too far.
The Vadis Al Maximo web site is still not finished yet, but every day we are getting closer: we apologize for that.
Vadis Al Maximo has the patronage of the Rome Administration (the document is visible in the site) to organize the three days of Roman Empire Celebration.
I am responsible for the Gathering of the Legios and the Gladiator Trophy.
I can be contacted at:
[email protected]
mauritius @vadisalmaximo.net
and my phone number is: 1 - 702 - 508-4280
Thank You
Maurizio Comelli
Vadis Al Maximo
Maurizio

Thank you for the open invitation.

But for those of us in the U.S., international travel is very expensive and many of us may not be able to get the vacation time off from our workplaces to participate for all of the days.

Is there any kind of funding, reimbursement, or other kind of consideration for travel and lodging fees for us?

Also, transportation of our gear, including weapons and large, hard-to-pack shields will be very difficult, if not impossible.

I am not saying any of us would not wish to participate, but, I feel I need to mention some very real problems many of us outside of Europe will face in order to participate.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
We are aware of all this problems and we are trying to put together packages and solutions. That's why we brought out the information about the event one year earlier.
This is not a little event, and it will be the first to be held in Rome.
It is also imperative for us trying to form an idea about the approx. number of participants.
I will keep you posted through this Forum or our site and Forum in regards of logistics and traveling.

Thank You
Maurizio Comelli
Vadis Al Maximo
Quote:This is not a little event, and it will be the first to be held in Rome.

What about the event about the foundation in Rome?. A lot of people of this forum were there, and i think those were'nt a litte event...
This event is quite different because will interest all the city with a competition among "Rioni" and will bring back the quadriga races at the Circus Massimus. Legions will mach inside the Foro Romano and the Gladiators will "fight" at the Circus Maximus. There will be shows and all the city will participate.
As you can see it will be quite different and it will be pretty extensive with media coverage etcetera.

M.
Maurizio Comelli
Vadis Al Maximo
Quote:Also, transportation of our gear, including weapons (...) will be very difficult, if not impossible.

That's no problem. Weaponry wasn't allowed in the city for Roman soldiers, if I'm right. So when doing a proper event withing the ancient centre of Rome we've to go without them! Wink

IMHO, it would be great if we can get the massive gathering with both european and american romans in the big city!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjenius,

If the groups want to carry weapons, can re-enact an episody of the civil war in 69 Ad... :lol: Searching for Galba...
Or the Sullan / Marian episode for Republicans...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Good Morning to all.
We are working on programs and discount packages for traveling and logistics with the possibility, also, to have a large camp with tabernas and so on.
We are also working in planning the Legions Day with the march that will cross the Foro Romano and end up at the Circus Massimus where we are planning to have some display of Roman war techniques.
We are open to suggestions etcetera.
Thank You all!
M.
Maurizio Comelli
Vadis Al Maximo
Hi Maurizio! Please add your real name into your signature. Click on the little link above named "profile". The click again on "profile", then on "signature". Write your name into the text field, and click on "save". Done. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Can you tell us what time period you are aiming for in the event.It would help groups to know as most of us don't cover the whole Republic/Imperial period. Smile
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:If the groups want to carry weapons
Will the soldiers be allowed to carry pila/hastae and gladii? What are the limitations on that in Italy these days? Could US groups ship their long arms and shields to someone in Ostia or Rome for safekeeping? It's hard to put those big things on a passenger airplane.

Maybe a storage room could be obtained if the need were determined, where different legions could have their box of stuff held until they arrived. And the same box could be used to send them back on the boat to the US, I suppose.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We shipped our stuff to Goupa Romana(or someone) but it was driven over by members....but the Italian groups are pretty hospitable!
And we all carried these things earlier this year, so hopefully it would be a similar deal to the march. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 Tarbicus 303 66,630 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Votava