Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
Well, whatever the case, I'll be in that void between undergraduate studies and graduate school in 2009 (if I take to finishing my BA slowly :lol: ), so whatever the happens, I'm thoroughly interested in attending.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Salvete!

There is nothing new to report. But we are still at work.
I will keep you informed.

Cheers,

Stefan
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Put me in the "I Wish" camp!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Any more info on this event?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'll be interested in coming, but I am also committed to another International Greek Festival in 2009, for which the venue is already booked; Watford, again. - If anyone wants to do Greco-Italians, you're welcome

It seems to me that the best way to move re-enactors around is by road, it simplifies logistics and getting weapons (Oops! I mean stage props.)across borders, so proximity to airports is not paramount. It may sometimes prove best to send th baggage train by road and the troops by air, but even then, you don't need to be on top of the airport.
Hi!

There is some little information from the Kalkriese Museum (site of the battle). A short translation of their latest letter:

" ... to the preparations for 2009 I just want to remark that we are preparing since several years. We know well about the outstanding meaning of "2000 years of Varian Battle" and do work out a very valuable exhibition together with our partners Haltern and Detmold. The plans for the surrounding program (that is us, e.g.) are being made with full power. We will inform the public in due time. ... (that is nonsense, actors are not the public)
... Thank you very much for your cooperation, we're looking forward to contact you."

So far the facts. Then the rumours: yes, maybe there will be a big event and maybe many of us will be involved. Yes, protectors and financers seem at hand. But it will not be worked out in a transparent brainstorming like this thread here is. We will have to wait for the deciding process of the museum. It is not realistic to get too excited about it until September.

What else? Well, at least the ideas and possibilities that are written in this thread have been heard. I have almost pushed it too hard, I was told, like a tail who tries to wave its dog, :wink: , so I have to loosen my pressure for a while.
In three weeks, pentecost weekend, is the Kalkriese Event 2007. Hopefully there ist time to checkout some more details.
Will there be someone from here? Please send me a pm or mail, I would be glad to meet you. Thx.

Cheers,

Ulfwin
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Quote:It seems to me that the best way to move re-enactors around is by road, it simplifies logistics and getting weapons (Oops! I mean stage props.)across borders, so proximity to airports is not paramount. It may sometimes prove best to send th baggage train by road and the troops by air, but even then, you don't need to be on top of the airport.
Organised coaches? It would make things easier at borders as it would be highly visible, and the whole process of dealing with Customs, Passport Control, etc, could be more streamlined judging by my experience with a wedding party from England to Poland.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Allright, the 2007 event is over.

Weather was not too bad, some 20.000 visitors were interested and happy.

I myself played within three groups: my own Projekt Sueben under the Germanic Network "comitatus.eu", I was infantryman with the Equtes Digni (Germanic Cavalry) and I served twice in a silent role as Roman officer Flavus, Arminus' brother, attending the Roman funeral 6 years after, displayed by the Legio Prima Italica. If some of them are reading here: ancora: grazie, tante grazie!

The main show, fighting between Germanics and Romans in the lowered vallum area was really good. It was guided by a moderator and divided in 4 parts. Each part had some script to follow and a fixed outcome. The fighting was very - well, friendly. Partners giving a show together, not "hobby enemies". For me it paid off that I do easily make friends with Romans. On my wing there were only the well known Vex. Leg. XI. c.p.f. from Switzerland and the new Italian friends of the Leg. I. Italica, no face under a Roman helmet was unknown. So I was very relaxed, both as killer as being killed and there were stunts possible that would have been horrible otherwise: "hey, Yves, this is me and the spear that goes past your head is mine, too, okay?" "okay". I can't break up a testudo if I only go for the feet. It's the eyes, man. Sorry, drifting off.

Back to topic: all parties, actors, public and museum were satisfied with the show. Impressions are sinking in now and the way to 2009 is a large step shorter. I myself have been told by the museum to shut up, no, to be confident and trust in their wisdom :wink: . They will do something extraordinary in 2009. Rumours say it will be longer than just one weekend and it will be in summer, not at Pentecost.
From my personal view I'd say it will not become as big as I have dreamed of, but big enough. The period will be quite strict early 1. century. The museum has slowed down my phantasies, but all the ideas have at least been heard. I think, the organization of the 2009 event will stay in the museum's own hands. Protector is Mrs Chancellor Angela Merkel, Germany's Nr. 2, btw.

My personal facit: I am still on a waiting position, but more happy than half a year before. And I will inform you, and esp. those who volunteered their addresses to me, as soon as something happens.

Cheers,

Ulfwin
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Any chance of pictures?
Thanks
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia
Pictures? Of course. I have to wait some days, until I get the dvds. I usually don't take a camera with me, because I always forget about it.

cheers,

Ulfwin
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Some of our activities with the XI. CPF and XXI. Rapax (Hamburg)
http://flavii.de/deutsch/main.php?main= ... =kalkriese

and

http://flavii.de/bilder/2007/bilderd200 ... Kalkriese/

Video on youtube
left flank XI. right flank I Italica i guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwr-em48BOQ
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Ah,

you have been there!

youtube link: yes, you're right. From Roman view left the Vex.Leg.XI. c.p.f, right the Leg.I.Italica. Sowhere inbetween, mingled with the c.p.f., the Milites Bedenses I think.

Valete,

Ulfwin
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Nicestuff Tobias!
I see you form your testudo with scutum overlapping front to back! That is how I would imagine it being done, to prevent any arrows or worse forcing their way into a gap if it were formed the other way. It is easier to form the other way tho' but seems more logical the way demonstrated in the video. But thats just a personal feeling.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Remeber that there were 3 troups working together. And the Rapax as well as the Flavii had members there, which never really marched or formed neither testudo nor cuneus. And as you can see, they learned it in about a half hour, inclusive the closed flanks (which often were forgotten).

So it isn't hard to build it up that way. More problems we had to fall back into normal formation, but also this was learned at the end Smile
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Well I have only been to two events myself :oops: but it is not hard to get in the swing when others know what they are doing. Well, one small event and a training session :oops: :oops:

The reason I commented is that I feel, from a defensive perspective, if the scuta overlap back to front, it reduces the effectiveness. Sorry to go offtopic here.

I wish I could get hold of video of our training session/s it would help to reinforce what I have done a bit better.

Great links tobias
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,116 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania