Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drunken helot
I am looking for the source about that drunken helot, who was shown to the Spartiates every year during a festival. Does anyone know?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I think Plutrarch "Lykoyrgos" and "Morals"
Jona it is mentioned in a number of places. Here is what I have found so far:
Plutarch's Moralia, 455E; Plutarch's Life of Lycurgus, chap. xxviii (57A); Life of Demetrius, chap. i (889A); Plato, Laws, 816E; Clement of Alexandria, Paedagogus, III chap. viii ad init. (41.5); Diogenes Laertius, I.103.
Peter Raftos
Ok! Ok already! It was me...

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a helot and know my place
I drink around here every year
And full of wine they'll show my face...
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Quote:Jona it is mentioned in a number of places. Here is what I have found so far:
Plutarch's Moralia, 455E; Plutarch's Life of Lycurgus, chap. xxviii (57A); Life of Demetrius, chap. i (889A); Plato, Laws, 816E; Clement of Alexandria, Paedagogus, III chap. viii ad init. (41.5); Diogenes Laertius, I.103.
Thanks Peter!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
No worries just pass the kylix...oh bugger ...make that a kantharos and I'll do a kordax on the trapeza..
Peter Raftos
If you don't have Kennell's "The Gymnasium of virtue", you can read large sections of it on Google books now: http://books.google.com/books?id=u_eAP7 ... &q&f=false
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:No worries just pass the kylix...oh bugger ...make that a kantharos and I'll do a kordax on the trapeza..

Hicks! You should... hicks! done that.. hicks! before your wedding... hicks!
Now... hicks! drink to... hicks! forget! (passes out!) :mrgreen:
You didn't know my father in law. He probably would have beaten me to it Smile
Peter Raftos
Quote:You didn't know my father in law. He probably would have beaten me to it Smile

Hicks! OK (hicks!) Dive into the (hicks!) krater (hicks!) Passing out (hicks!) helps (hicks!)