Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
There is a farm close to the museum which has a large estate. One could try and contact the farmer whether he´s willing to.... think to an end yourselves. Just an idea.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Would be nice to just marching to the park with 2 or 3 full cohortes and then having less soldiers and barbarians inside the park Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
I write and write, then I delete again. What I want to say I am not allowed to.

I think, if those in charge were aware of their behaviour they would say SORRY for ignoring you. Of course they are not xenophobic or dislike foreigners. They show the same attitude to groups from our country. On the opposite, they would even be happy about the multinational flair.

Maybe it is only a problem of too little capacities. Personal capacity, not mental, of course. No offence being meant.

Another point is the arrangement of the museum. All the park is a big, impressive or oppressive or depressive piece of modern art. When you are there, it bends your mind and makes it difficult to imagine something beyond certain limits. It leads your awareness and makes you turn your back to the places were a great battle reenactment could take place. I have been there two days ago, and it still has the effect. Even worse without the surroundings of an event that distracts and hides parts of the arrangement.

So, the actual set is maybe the optimum that is possible. As long as you turn your back to the possibilities and stay within the artificial limits. The archeological evidence is spoiled by the arrangements, so there is no space to make a big size show. You'd have to be so free to leave the original route, then you could do everything you want. But so, modern art and archeological finding sites only leave a small area where you can do a small show. Free from that mindbent influence you could turn around and move some 20 meters, of course still on the original battlefield, and then Bob's your uncle. There still is a little hope. Little.
But for the very great show with many of those who would like to join it is too late. Because the official policy always was "lack of communication". Now there is simply not enough time to change all the concept again and coordinate kitguides, periods, fighting and weapon styles. That is the main problem with the "Don't talk loud!" policy. When it takes too long all the others have not been informed in time. Something I don't understand by heart. It still makes me teethgrinding. But I obey and shut up. Now.

Cheers, regards, have fun!
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
BLAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! :roll:

Let's just hire a field nearby and do our own.

If they want to come and play that's their choice. We could send a rider or envoy to throw down a challenge on the day.... in latin :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Saluete omnes,
It seems clear that the Kalkriese Museum's point of view about the event is quite different (legitimate, thought) from that expected by the people of reenactors.
Why then not to think to an event organized just for reenactors, and possibly in a town or a location different from Kalkriese? The Teutoburger Wald was a very wide area, and the locations of the events (it wasn't a common battle, as we know) can let a lot of acceptable alternatives.
The possible organizer (manager? german group?) should attend only to find a proper location (a wide area, primary services,...) and cover the costs with a ticket to the public, to not speak about other possible entrances (sponsors, tv coverages, etc...)
The travel costs could be possibly beared directly from the groups (we are all inclined to do it, aren't we?)
In a few words, it would be an event just to gather so many Romans, and Germans too, from all over the world, for an unforgettable, and unique, opportunity.
Can we let miss this anniversary after 2000 years? Who can live it, if not we do? When, if not now?
Just an idea!
Optime valete omnes.
Flavius
aka Giuseppe Cascarino
Decima Legio
Roma, Italy
I can go and check if we can get some space near Augsburg. Would be mor central, anyway, if you take Europe as a whole. Munich Airport is close by. Idea?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Good on you, Christian!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Just for the joke…
Take Bielefeld and the platform:
http://www.buergernaehe-bielefeld.de/up ... erturm.pdf
It is in the Forest between Kalkriese and the new findings at Porta Westfalica.
Bielefeld “the conspiracy cityâ€
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Christian,
of course Munich is an ideal location as gathering point for all european and american legionaries, but I think it would be more significant, for this special event, a location in the Teutoburger area. For example last year I took part in a wonderful event in Augustdorf (West Westfalia), where the municipality has a large and well done roman castrum (and people are really involved, not by accident the town's name is Augustdorf! Big Grin

http://www.roemertage-owl.com/

Maybe the castrum is still living, and the municipality would be glad to welcome a large number of legionaries and visitors for the occasion.
If we choose a date close to that of the historical event (about september 9-11th, if I remember well), there is almost one year ahead to accurately prepare the event...
What do you think about?
Flavius
aka Giuseppe Cascarino
Decima Legio
Roma, Italy
Quote:I heard that the organizers only want groups which fit exactly into the time frame. Not so many Augustan groups out there.

Hmmmm, I've been spending a fortune to make sure all my equipment is time frame accurate!! Sad (

I'm totally gutted! I agree with Jim and Cab, we should just invade! :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hey Guys,
Wouldn't Augusta Raurica not also be very central for such an event?
Maybe I can join someone from the organisation comitee... or at least I can try it, as I have seen they are very open for international inputs...

Looking forward for answers......
Martina Mesan-Pavlovic
Quote:We have been in touch with the museum... And my previous experiences connected with trial communication are similar to these described above by David H. Blain... unfortunately...

Andreas, did you got my PN/ email?

Czes´c´

Robert
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
That is a very impressive site you have Ghandi!
It is a pity that we are not going to be able to meet you all at Kalkriese next year!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks, Gaius,
but we plan to make other future events. Think of 2014-2016...
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
That is good to hear.
But this year has special signifigance to us all involved in Reenacting, and is a big dissappointment not to be able to attend. Sad
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,134 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania