Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twined Linothorax
Hi folks,
I am going to focus on finishing my twined linothorax before working anymore on the spolas, and I am creating this dedicated thread for the project.  I'm excited about finishing the linothorax and having it to go with the rest of my panoply!   I'll be posting pics in this thread as progress continues. It will look very much like the Etrurian examples in Gleba.  Half of the twining for the thorax portion is done, and I've found a good source for European heavy white linen that I will use to cover the twining and ptyreges and sew it all together.  I could actually go for the Alexander Mosaic armour, but it wouldn't go with the rest of my stuff.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Waiting for linen to arrive.....

--Flavius Flav 
Here's where things are now; half of the tube portion twining is done (the back half), and I also have the second row of pteryges twined for this half too (not shown):

--Flavius Flav 
(10-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Feinman Wrote: Here's where things are now; half of the tube portion twining is done (the back half), and I also have the second row of pteryges twined for this half too (not shown):

Looks like a lot of work! do you intend to cover the final result?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Matt posted this on the Historum forum. It is probably the closest contemporary representation of Todd's reconstruction. It appears to be twined textile armour with some kind of cover.
https://historum.com/attachments/twinedt...jpg.48538/

Medieval textile armour was often covered with fine leather.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(10-11-2021, 08:21 AM)Crispianus Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Feinman Wrote: Here's where things are now; half of the tube portion twining is done (the back half), and I also have the second row of pteryges twined for this half too (not shown):

Looks like a lot of work! do you intend to cover the final result?  This is indeed a ridiculous amount of work!
Yes!  And today the 11 oz. white linen should arrive  :-)
There appears to be a hem on some of the pteryges --and those also must be covered, as in the depictions --and that is also a hell of a lot of work! Undecided
But this pales in comparison to the Egyptian painted hide scale armour I am working on that is created with the same level of sophistication as the one found with Tut...  That project is madness itself.  Other crazy half-completed stuff is waiting for me on the to-do list, also.

(10-11-2021, 08:36 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: Matt posted this on the Historum forum. It is probably the closest contemporary representation of Todd's reconstruction. It appears to be twined textile armour with some kind of cover.
https://historum.com/attachments/twinedt...jpg.48538/

Medieval textile armour was often covered with fine leather.
You might be right Dan --some could have been covered with leather.  Thanks for linking to that image --I can only see a thumbnail as I am no longer part of that forum.  Twining tends to sag a bit, even if it is tightly twined.  I think what we are seeing with the patterns on them --rectilinear in the Etruscan examples --is the quilting through the twining that secures the facing to a linen backing below the twining --this keeps things nicely tailored and in case a cord is cut by a sword or arrow, stops things from unraveling. In the Etruscan depictions, one can even see a wide belt that looks ideal for keeping things snug.

Dan  --or Matt, can you post Matt's pic of the wounded hoplite in the linothorax over here?
As usual you and Matt are spot-on in that thread.

--Flavius Flav 
Waiting for supply chain to be disimpacted and linen to arrive.. Computer says it should be here on the 21st.

--Flavius Flav 
Linen arrived and is perfect! Also needles, goat leather and madder. I should be able to make some progress this weekend (Sun & Mon), and I'll post some progress pics on Tuesday.
I think the red decoration seen in the linothorax depictions represents red leather appliqué and a few other techniques, all of which can interestingly, also be seen in the Egyptian Tano chariot. those techniques were also used on Egyptian linen armour (sewn on cords of red leather, applique of larger pieces). On the pteryges in the Etruscan depictions, I think they serve to help hold the facing to the twining below.

--Flavius Flav 
The red decoration on the pottery illustrations could also be because it was the only colour available to them.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(10-30-2021, 07:25 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: The red decoration on the pottery illustrations could also be because it was the only colour available to them.
That's true! And that thought had crossed my mind as well (it's likely true in the case of the black and white pottery depictions), though other colors are used in some of the frescoes in sections and it would tend to go with blood stains better than some other colors :-)
I'll be using some blue in the linothorax too.

--Flavius Flav 
Got off to a rocky start when I couldn't find my awls!  Ordered some from Amazon, and they arrived yesterday.  So far I have rolled and whip stitched down the top ends of the warp cords which were knotted together at the top of the armour.  I got got the 11 oz. linen wet and allowed it to dry and it shrank a bit.  then I cut the linen larger than needed for this portion of the armour (this is the back half), and whip stitched the top of the linen facing to the top of the twining.  This whip stitched area at the top of the armour will be covered with the red goat leather, as all edges will be.  At first I tried using tacks to mark the interstices of the twining so I could get a regular row of stitching --each horizontal stitch going over two warp cords, but noticed it was possible to locate them without tacks!  I noticed that this kind of stitching holds the rows and columns of twining tightly together (especially when the vertical stitches will be added).  I have the goat leather and madder --I need to dye the leather and I'll use it for the edging.
I should be able to get more done regularly now and will post more pics soon.

--Flavius Flav 
Dyed strips of veg. tanned goat leather.  Dyed with madder and ochre and sealed with linseed oil with beeswax.  Should be ready to use in a couple of days.  Meanwhile I can do more sewing on some days off coming up--should be able to make more progress.

--Flavius Flav 
Got a bit more work done.  This portion is the back half of the thorax extending on each side to below each arm.  The front half will be connected (lashed) to this piece on the right side, to form a single piece covered with the linen, and closed with three ties under the left arm.  The top two rows of stitching are symmetrically curved near the neck where the back of the yoke will be sewn to the middle of this section, to provide a bit of tailoring and reinforcement (the stitching crosses three weft rows), but the rows below that are straight and will continue to be straight until it meets the decorative band around the midsection that will have the Greek "key" motif.  I keep everything open and unfinished at the edges in order to attach the second half of the thorax portion correctly.  I am combining a couple of decorative motifs and techniques seen in the Etruscan fresco depictions to create a fancy custom linothorax, so it won't be a an exact reproduction of a particular one.  I am interpreting the decorative techniques seen as leather applique and embroidery.

The upper edge has been lashed to a cord to provide a nice firm edge to sew the red leather edging to. I'll attach that to this section soon --after I finish the rows of sewing and decoration.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Flavius Flav 
More progress.  This is the fun part!  The quilting through the twining makes the armour extremely stiff.  Very interesting indeed...  I can tell that this is going to work.  Should be interesting.  I LOVE linen armour.  I think I want to make more of it.

--Flavius Flav 
Wink 
(11-27-2021, 06:35 AM)Feinman Wrote: More progress.  This is the fun part!  The quilting through the twining makes the armour extremely stiff.  Very interesting indeed...  I can tell that this is going to work.  Should be interesting.  I LOVE linen armour.  I think I want to make more of it.

Looking Good, I think you'll have a Linen cuirass second to none... 

Smile
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867