Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Hoplite Shield Designs
#31
Quote:Khaire,
without going through all.....who carried the Griffin.....although it will be a while before I have my own aspis...this design appeals to me...
regards
Arthes

it must be the city of Abdera judging from coins.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Reply
#32
Khaire Idomeneas
Quote:it must be the city of Abdera judging from coins.
thank you.
That could suit me very well......!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Reply
#33
TOP TABLE
1st row
Sikyon(classsic), Arkdic league, Achean league, Hipaspists (Philip II)
2nd row
Jolkos, Falena, (under research), Tenedos
3rd row
Korinthos,Korinthos, Anaktorio, Leukas

MIDDLE TABLE
1st row
Argos(king) Stymphalia (king) Argos(hieros lochos) Stymphalia (bodyguard)
2nd row
Argive hoplite, Opundian Locrian, Zangle, Rhodian league
3rd row
Wild dove (Sikyon archaic)- Red Eagle of Flegyae, "Holy war" hoplites, Bakchiadae of Corinthos/Sikyon

BOTTOM TABLE
1st row
Sparta, "Holy war" hoplites, Trikka, Beotean "Spartos"
2nd row
under research, Elis "logadae", Deleian League, Sparta
3rd row
Athens Thavlonidae clan Athens Alkmeonidae clan


And Christina Griffin is associates with 3 cities but not Abdera.
It is possible that the coins found in Abdera come from Fokea or even Avae

Kind regards
Reply
#34
by the way allow me to explain something.

the assigments of blazons to cities in some cases may not be absolutely accurate as they were made for the needs of a mod and withing game engine limitations (i dont think people here realy care to know how rtw works). In the mod there are many many hoplite units and each has unique blazon so you understand the need to bend some rules here and there in order to have enough blazons for all. Its not just an illustration case where you can easy get away with few cliches :lol:

so by no means the names of cities are suggested as historic reference.
I just show a sample of work on blazons. The designes themselves if you like.

BTW Stefanos im really glad to see you know many about city blazons. I would like to ask you if in the present day there is a book devoted in greek blazons categorized by city. Im graphic designer and im deeply interested in the subject. If there is not a book maybe we should make one Big Grin those blazons here where made by a friend of mine who is graphic designer also and interested in greek culture as well.

I also had touched abit the subject ohelping on a diplomatic work of a fellow designer themed as ''from rockpaintings to logos''

If you have infos about bibliography please enlight me Big Grin

thanks
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Reply
#35
Well me and G. Iliopoulos are working on it.
That is why I do not give full explanation about "why and what" here.
We have refernces to back up our arguments but ee have to remake most of our work in the light of new archaological evidence - especially about Athenian clans.
Using only coinage is the easy way out but does not explain everything.
Kind regards
Reply
#36
Quote:Well me and G. Iliopoulos are working on it.
That is why I do not give full explanation about "why and what" here.
We have refernces to back up our arguments but ee have to remake most of our work in the light of new archaological evidence - especially about Athenian clans.
Using only coinage is the easy way out but does not explain everything.
Kind regards

well thats very good news i hope it will be translated atleast in english as unfortunatelly the main target group is outside Greece Cry

Any help you might need in graphics shoot this way :wink:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Reply
#37
Hello. Smile

[Image: sp3.GIF]

the bottom two are of course lamthas, which were used afterwards.

The bull's head was the Mora emblem of Elos.
The black boar was the emblem of people near the Arcadian border.
The leopard was the emblem of Messenians(?).
The Gorgon was the emblem of the homoioi.
The rooster was the emblem of Amykale (the rooster was a creature associated with Apollo)
The hawk (usually with a white outline) began as the emblem of the Skiritai and evolved as a homoioi commander blazan.
The scorpian and goose uses are unknown. By some point these emblems were probably shared by all in the Lakedemonian army.

The king and his bodyguards probably used the dokana of the Dioscuri, which seems to have been used by kings as early as 7th-6th century.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Reply
#38
Hi Zenodoros, I've sent you a PM.
Robert Vermaat
MODERATOR
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[Image: artgroepbutton.jpg]
Reply
#39
Each mora had each own shield device but the commander was distinguished by the traverse or high crest and not from his shield device that was identical to the rest of his command.
The Messenians did not have the leopard as emblem or else the Spartans would not have accepted it.
The Skiritan hawk in most pottery appears white with red outline or dark gray on white background.
The king was curring the solar symbol not the dokana.
I just managed to pin point the skorpion and the goose emblems yesterday after a night of hard academic work. More when the book comes out.
The artwork appearing with the link that I gave has been carefully researched and it is not a simple artist´s impresion.
Kind regards
Reply
#40
Quote:there are plenty more and i mean plenty Big Grin

The links don't show the other imagines ? (I get a X when I try...)
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Reply
#41
Quote:Each mora had each own shield device but the commander was distinguished by the traverse or high crest and not from his shield device that was identical to the rest of his command.
The Messenians did not have the leopard as emblem or else the Spartans would not have accepted it.
The Skiritan hawk in most pottery appears white with red outline or dark gray on white background.
The king was curring the solar symbol not the dokana.
I just managed to pin point the skorpion and the goose emblems yesterday after a night of hard academic work. More when the book comes out.
The artwork appearing with the link that I gave has been carefully researched and it is not a simple artist´s impresion.
Kind regards

Stefanos,
Did you write the article here? This was where most of my information came from. Interesting that the king wore the solar emblem.

Thanks.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Reply
#42
Yes I wrote it.

The Solar Symbol in the from of the Sun with rays or the swastix started reappearing at the end of Geometric to the begin of Archaic Era.
It was used to mark the new warrior elites protected by Apollo and Athena as opposed to the older elites patroned by Ares (Mars).
In ILIAD that composed at that time we see even mortals guided by "solar" dieties defying "darker" dieties.
Kind regards
Reply
#43
Yes, can you give me more details about this one location etc.?
Reply
#44
Quote:
hoplite14gr:3lgqf4km Wrote:The Solar Symbol in the from of the Sun with rays or the swastix started reappearing at the end of Geometric to the begin of Archaic Era.
It was used to mark the new warrior elites protected by Apollo and Athena as opposed to the older elites patroned by Ares (Mars).

In ILIAD that composed at that time we see even mortals guided by "solar" dieties defying "darker" dieties.
Kind regards

Like That? Smile

[Image: v86.jpg]

[size=150:3lgqf4km]I owe Peroni thisone! :lol:

Leonidas
[/size]
That is one aspis design I love....but I found it was used by Leonidas
so I would not feel right doing so...
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Reply
#45
Cristy you have Eagle EYES! Confusedhock:

....OOPS I confused Aspis shield for Spears :oops:
  
Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silver shield shield designs? Rizzio 0 847 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Rizzio
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 1,372 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Hoplite Shield Composition rrgg 11 5,413 02-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Gulan

Forum Jump: