Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Roman Military Clothing (3)
#76
Dear Marcentius,

I hope it is not too dumb to ask what "new spectacular finds from Romania" you are referring to?
Regards,


Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Reply
#77
Dear all,
the sarchophagus is dated at 385 AD by someone, but not from Grabar. Grabar dated it at the first half of 5th cent., as the belt of one of the functionaries there represented shows.
So it is, following my opinion, the most near to Aetius.
The finds are many, but do not worry You will see in our book!
Best wishes
Raffaele
Reply
#78
Quote:Hi Robert

Raffaele wrote:
Quote:The edges of the dress and the segmenta of the cuffs are swastikas decorated with gold thread; we have found a specimen from Egypt completely identical.

I should add that the find was a picture in a book, not that we went off into the desert and dug it up ourselves, although finding things in books can often be just as hard!

It was pleasing to note however that when I looked closely at the image of the clavi on 'Stilicho' I spotted that the interlaced swastika design was there as well and that did not appear in any previous reconstruction that I had seen.
Graham.

When i was at Piazza Aremina recently I noted that one mosaic of a late tunic had a swastika motief on the shoulder pannels. I hadn't seen this in any books or on line. I suppose there may be an element of censorship.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Reply
#79
Hi Conal


Quote:When i was at Piazza Aremina recently I noted that one mosaic of a late tunic had a swastika motief on the shoulder pannels. I hadn't seen this in any books or on line. I suppose there may be an element of censorship.

Not so. I have seen it published before. In fact there are several swastika motifs on either cloaks or tunics in both Roman Military Clothing 2 & 3 including the one from Piazza Armerina plus a colour reconstruction.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Reply
#80
Quote:Hi Conal


Quote:When i was at Piazza Aremina recently I noted that one mosaic of a late tunic had a swastika motief on the shoulder pannels. I hadn't seen this in any books or on line. I suppose there may be an element of censorship.

Not so. I have seen it published before. In fact there are several swastika motifs on either cloaks or tunics in both Roman Military Clothing 2 & 3 including the one from Piazza Armerina plus a colour reconstruction.

Graham.

Ah glad to hear it ,where? ... out of idle interest.

I have RMC 2&3 and am pleased you did not censor Smile
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Reply
#81
Conal wrote:

Quote:Ah glad to hear it ,where? ... out of idle interest.

To hand with what I have at home:
Dorigo 'Late Roman Painting' London. 1971.
Kalavrezou & Maxeiner 'The Imperial Chamber at Luxor'. DOP Washington 1975.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military Clothing Vol 2 derek forrest 34 3,934 12-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte
  "Roman Military Clothing" Vol. II FlaviusCrispus 1 734 11-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Review: Sumner\'s Roman Military Clothing (1) Gregg 19 2,685 01-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Last Post: richsc

Forum Jump: