Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs Presentation discussion
Quote:Thanks for explaining RAT's rationale, caiustarquitius. I disagree with the decision since both reconstructions and reproductions are based on archeological evidence.

caiustarquitius wrote:
I don´t know how many attic helmets were found, but it is quite a lot. Most of the derive from Greece and southern Italy.

Actually, the answer is : none. That is, if "Attic" is defined in a Roman context. "Attic" is the unofficial name given to helmets like these.

Now that is an ambiguous statement. The award was invented to honour the best reconstruction or impression, as said above. The term reconstruction is clearly defined: To recreate a historic object with exactly the same methods with which it originally was made. This is not so much about the use of or interpretation of archaeological evidence, it clearly plays a role, but it´s not at the centre. So then please tell me, if none of these helmets was ever found, how would you make a reconstruction?

At the centre of this award is ancient craftsmanship, working methods etc, not the object that turns out in the end. If you enter with a complete impression, then your research is honoured.

So what you are actually saying is that you disagree with the definition of the term reconstruction. There I can´t help. There are several organisations , magazines, and the academic world which use the term just in the way it is described above, i.e. this is how the term is defined.

And I know of some attic helmets in a Roman context, but they are all a bit earlier, that is: Middle Republican. Smile
If you´d say "in an Early Imperial Roman context", then I´d agree. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Re: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs Presentation discussion - by caiusbeerquitius - 07-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Primvs Pavlvs presentation discussion Peroni 7 11,882 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Chuck Russell
  caiustarquitius - presentation caiusbeerquitius 0 6,747 05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Model Presentation caiusbeerquitius 0 6,671 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius