Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now playin\' : Die Germanen --- on ARTE
On TV right now ! (20.45 GMT)
Enjoy

Siggi K.
Siggi K.
1. Next sequel on ARTE :
([url:2ywm7l4t]http://www.arte.tv/de/geschichte-gesellschaft/Germanen-und-Wikinger/1604022.html[/url])
SUNDAY, 28th of July, 20.45 MEZ (GMT)
2. Is it worthwhile ?
Yes, but well ahhh ...
Suevians on horses with stirrups in 58 B.C.,
Suevians fighting with roman (legionary) scuta in 58 B.C., Roman troopers fighting in lorica segmentata and with imperial gallic or imperial italic helmets at that time :?: (as far as I could identify it -- well, ahmm, some clad in lorica hammata and with coolus-style helmets were there too) made my mind permanently try and switch to the "don't take that to serious, don't look too close, try to enjoy yourself"-modus. :wink:
Well, ahhhh, "ye olde hollywood gladiator syndrome" ?? .....even a strong influence of Cinecitta ?? Confusedhock: (Am I kiddin now ? :wink: )
In the end I'd say it was a fair introduction to the subject for "the entertainment crowd".
(So the "entertainment part" of me surely well be watching :wink: )
Greez

Siggi K.
Siggi K.
It seems that all the actors are Czech, who even spoke their own language. Smile Some of them already appeared in another documentary about the Battle of Vienna.
--- Marcus F. ---
Hi Marcus,
how would they be called, then ??
"Vexillatio Prima Checia" ??
"Cohors Prima Civium Checiorum" or
"Legio II Semper Adiutrix" Smile
Yes, i think I've seen them several times before -- in different guises.
The "usual supects" for these kind of occaisons on german TV ?!
Much more original though than the military equipment they usually use in the average "Attila"-movie, I think.
After all, if Hollywood showed us roman cavalry eqipped with stirrups attacking German in about 180 AD like in "Gladiator" , who is entitled to doubt that it REALLY WAS SO at that times ?! ;-)
O.K. they "recycled" cavalry eqipment from the movie "Cromwell" too.
("Ironsides")
BTW: you could easily use cuirassier's equipment from the 16. and 17. century with minor mods for a close resemblance to Roman Cavalry of the late 2nd/early 3rd Century. Most couldn't tell the difference. :wink:
Greez

Siggi K.
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Die Germanen Ein Handbuch Band I und II Bob Roeder 2 1,387 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Bob Roeder
  L\'Apocalypse TV Documentary start shooting for ARTE soon Christophorus Rubrum 0 907 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Christophorus Rubrum
  Fall (sinking) of Zeugma in Arte.TV Uwe Bahr 3 1,320 02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr