Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Roman Bow and Arrows.
Is there any information on Bows and Arrows Republican Romans would have used? Did they use them, or just slings?
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
As far as I understand it (which may not be very far), they were not part of the Roman legionary organisation, but would have been available as local auxiliaries in various places. This is just off the top of my head, but I'll try to find time to find some specific examples.

Phil
Cool, I appreciate it very much!
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Polybius mentions Cretan Archers in Roman service around 200 BC. I can't remember off hand which book it was, though.

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
That Cretan archers served in the Roman army doesn´t seem to have been unusual,but I think Vegetius also refers to Cato and Scipio Africanus concerning this matter.According to him both were convinced that archers are an important part of an army ("Quantum autem utiliitatis boni sagittarii in proeliis habeant, et Cato in libris de disciplina militari euidenter ostendit..." and "Africanus quidem Scipio, cum aduersum Numantinos, qui exercitus populi Romani sub iugum miserant, esset acie certaturus, aliter se superiorem futurum esse non credidit, nisi in omnibus centuriis lectos sagittarios miscuisset." - FLAVI VEGETI RENATI VIRI INLUSTRIS COMITIS EPITOMA REI MILITARIS LIBER I,15).The term "lectos sagittarios" (chosen archers) and the fact that Vegetius gives the advice to train "suitable" (="apti") recruits,how to use a bow, could indicate that this has also been done in the days of Cato and Scipio Africanus.But of cause we can´t be sure of that.However, we can say that archers were definitely used in the republican army.
Kai H. Teipel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. Aulus Perrinius 84 18,206 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Last Post: marka
  Roman arrows: fletching Caballo 19 6,088 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Virilis