Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colors of officer kit
Just have a few "simple" questions

I was working on my centurio kit and was wondering if a centurion would or could use purple for a sagum or paludamentum.

What fabric would be good to use for purple or what fabric was probably used in purple dyed garments (I read Summners Book); I could not come up with a solid conclusion

I was also thinking of using a purple leather edge for my armor around the ends of my shoulder doubling and the end of my hamata.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
What time period are you reconstructing...? That's always important to know.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
A cloak would have been wool, as it is naturally waterproof.

Even wool that has had the natural lanolins removed, can be made waterproof just by the brushing of the knap in a downward direction.
Sorry,

I forgot to mention the period. I am focusing on mid 1st century AD and going for the paludamentum similar to that of Sertorius Festus
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello Paolo

Quote:I was working on my centurio kit and was wondering if a centurion would or could use purple for a sagum or paludamentum.

What fabric would be good to use for purple or what fabric was probably used in purple dyed garments (I read Summners Book); I could not come up with a solid conclusion

Pliny records that the scarlet dye from the kermes was used for dyeing the paludamentum, the distictive officer's cloak. 'Roman Military Clothing 1. page 24.

Some of the portraits from Egypt also show what appear to be centurions, because their swords are worn on their left, with dark blue cloaks.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thank you Mr. Summner for the response.

What color is this scarlet dye?

Could the same be used in leather for the edging of a hamata

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
A colour swatch using kermes:
http://home.snafu.de/v.emrath/pigmente.htm#Kermes

[Image: kermes_scarlet.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus,

This may sound like a silly question and possibly it is, but which of the reds is it or are you showing the possible range of redness that this scarlet can be.

Do you or anyone have an actual picture of a cloth in this scarlet color.

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
Did you go to the webpage I linked to?

Any photo you see will be different to another. Either the dyeing will be a bit different, or because no two photos of different garments taken with different cameras under different lighting conditions will show exactly the same colours anyway.

You should Google kermes scarlet.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Just watch the colour settings of your monitor and video card, and expect some variation. If you can, try and obtain a pms colour code or something similar so you can see what it looks like in real life.

Legion: TBD
Ha, now he tells us. Wish I knew that before last week-end Peroni :lol: I walked off the field weighing twice as much as when I went on. I could have sold my Paenula and Tunic to some poor water starved African nation...
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]