Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather scabbard?
Quote:Interesting. Do you know more about this? What kind of openwork design?

Well writing up this publication I do hope I know a bit about it... Big Grin The open-work is in fact a netlike motif in openwork technique. For a picture and a more detailed description one will have to wait for the publication (which is indeed due to be soon).

Quote:I'd love to see a picture of the leather scabbard found at Vindonissa.

I'll try to scan and post it within the next few days

Best,

Guy Stiebel
Quote:Well writing up this publication I do hope I know a bit about it... Big Grin The open-work is in fact a netlike motif in openwork technique.
Guy, do you mean it was openwork leather on top of another layer of leather, openwork leather with the wood showing through, or an openwork design carved into the leather?

This sounds really cool no matter which it is.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Guy Stiebel:3fv7uzxa Wrote:Well writing up this publication I do hope I know a bit about it... Big Grin The open-work is in fact a netlike motif in openwork technique.
Guy, do you mean it was openwork leather on top of another layer of leather, openwork leather with the wood showing through, or an openwork design carved into the leather?

This sounds really cool no matter which it is.
Sorry for the above

Quote:do you mean it was openwork leather on top of another layer of leather, openwork leather with the wood showing through, or an openwork design carved into the leather?

We have only the leather components. However, it appears to be the case of an openwork leather with the wood showing through.
Thanks Guy, that's something I'd love to see.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I'll try to scan and post it within the next few days

Thanks!

Is the openwork design a bit like the metal openwork designs seen on early gladii?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Linen - tough as nails especially if glued, easy to paint if you want some colour, easy to repair (just wrap another layer around).

I have a Pompei style gladius that I covered the scabbard in linen soaked with hide glue, then painted with milk paint. Its much more duriable than any of my leather covered scabbards.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.