Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank Structure of the Late Roman Legions
Quote:Now it's the lower ranks that get me. ... I should have amended my question earlier to ask what were the enlisted ranks of the Roman legions. This is what I'm interested in but can't seem to find.
A good place to start for many Late Roman questions is A.H.M. Jones, [amazon]The Later Roman Empire 284-602[/amazon]. Although published in 1964, it is still valuable for many topics, and includes a chapter on the army.
Quote:... a private (pedes) or trooper (eques) might in due course be promoted to the grade of semissalis and then to non-commissioned rank. ... In the new types of formation dating from the third and fourth centuries, the vexillations and the auxilia and the scholae, the grades were ... in ascending order circitor, biarchus, centenarius, ducenarius, senator, primicerius.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rank Structure of the Late Roman Legions - by D B Campbell - 07-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman and Early Legions SAJID 4 285 07-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  When would the rank of Praefectus be used in the Late Roman Army Tim Hare 3 1,366 11-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius Longovicium 175 71,204 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries