Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where in Africa?
Hi folks, this is just a quick query.

Does anybody have a map showing the location of the town/city of 'Hermione', in the area of Byzacena, in the province of Africa?? It's where Gelimer was located when Belisarius landed in Africa during the reconquest of the 6th century. I have tried for ages to find something in my own book collection and on the net, all to no avail. Have I just been unlucky, or is the location of the town unknown?

I just hope that somebody out there can help me!!

Thanks in advance.

Sonic

Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Hello Ian
According to E. Lennox Manton in 'Roman North Africa'. London 1998. Gelimer was at the former royal city of the Numidian kings Bulla Regia, when Belisarius invaded. Bulla Regia is now a well know archaeological site in modern day Tunisia. Many of the buildings there were partially built underground for use in the hot climate and are therefore well preserved.

Hope this is of some use.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hello Ian
According to E. Lennox Manton in 'Roman North Africa'. London 1998. Gelimer was at the former royal city of the Numidian kings Bulla Regia, when Belisarius invaded. Bulla Regia is now a well know archaeological site in modern day Tunisia. Many of the buildings there were partially built underground for use in the hot climate and are therefore well preserved.

Hope this is of some use.

Graham.

Brilliant! :lol:

Thanks a lot for the quote, I'll go and read what he has to say!

Thanks again 8)

Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II