Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka\'s new Gallic and Itallic helms...Issues?
My gallic F has a very strange dent and strange things like vice marks or something on the neckguard too. I don't mind scratches or dents to much but modern vicemarks are disturbing IMHO...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Andy which version of the Gallic " G" do you have? The older item or the new N model? All that seems to be a little off with mine are the cheek plate hinges.

I am not really all that fussed with my two helmets as I know I can rectify the problem areas but still in thought is the question why should one have to?

I think there is a prudent point to everything and I do agree that price has something to do with final product quality. Making a decent repro anything from raw materials can be labour intensive even with all the right gear. However there are also details that simply reflect sloppy lack of attention.

All in all I like them and have them both on display. I certainly could not afford the upgrades so I appreciate that as well.

JEF how are you haven't talked in a long time? Are the marks on your helmet radial back and forth or just stationary as if a toothed tool was used on the metal surface as you say vice marks? Probably can just be polished out if not too deep.

Best Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I'm well, thanks Rick Smile

They are stationary, you can see the marks of the teeth where they've 'bit' into the metal. I'm not worried about the, I can remove them. I just mentioned it to back the case of 'sloppy' work.

In Roman reenactment there's two kinds of sloppy work. Good sloppy work that makes a piece look more authentic. And bad sloppy work, like evidently modern toolmarks.

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
>>In Roman reenactment there's two kinds of sloppy work. Good sloppy work that makes a piece look more authentic. And bad sloppy work, like evidently modern toolmarks.

JEF excellent point made!

Thank you much!

Be Well,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Titus Publius Saturninus\\n[quote]Andy which version of the Gallic " G" do you have? The older item or the new N model?

I was referring to the new "N" model. It also arrived in a slightly squashed condition but I assume that was the carrier's fault. I just did a bit of tweaking to bend it back in shape.

Mind you, I'm not saying that I don't like it. And finally I have one that fits.
(I just noticed we Saturnini are the same age.)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Received 4 Gallic H's and the only thing was with the upper part of the cheekplate hinges not following the curve of the helm.. i.e. the bowl is curved the hinge is straight.
10 minutes with a rawhide hammer over a mushroom stake quickly resolved the issue.

Other than that, my lads are very happy with them

Thanks a million Rusty!
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Quote:Anyone else remember when the deepeeka helms were $325 and not very authentic, but were the best we had for under $800???

Now they are $175, much more accurate than ever before, and...???

If you want perfect, go custom. For the price, Deepeeka helms are very accurate and a great value. There is significant cost to redesign and such that deepeeka has absorbed with NO price increase to us, and we (your deepeeka suppliers) have already voiced complaints on the construction issues. I am sure they will get better. I am also sure they will never be A) Free or B) Perfect.

I agree to a point Rusty, however, given the fact that the previous deepeeka models did not suffer from such production flaws...makes me wonder... One step forward and one step back puts you in the same spot. So now you have a helmet that is truly more authentic, but is suffering from major construction flaws. Does that make it better?

As a group commander, and I'm sure you can sympathize, it makes it tough to give my members clear answers on "what to buy" given the current choices out there. That is my biggest grief. How can I condone company "A" or product "B" if it's just as flawed as previous ones, only in a different way?

I'm finding now I'm being forced to say well, this product is "good enough", even though that goes against some of my standards, or proposed standards, because as you stated, unless you're filthy rich we can't all go custom.

Legion: TBD
Andy I haven't the foggiest idea how a thing like a helmet (especially if properly packed and sealed) could possibly arrive in a squashed state unless the courriers used it in a curling match! MUST have somehow been presquashed who knows? I used to work in AMF (air mail facility)for the US postal service and what they did with Christmas parcels for literal kicks was a nightmare!

I guess there are always far worse things but somehow that doesn't always work as solvent for a minor wound when there is a $$ outlay.

Cheers!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Phillip your crest is here now. Andy, if that was one of ours, let me know if you want an exhchange. I have plenty of these in stock.
Wow, thanks,Rusty for the generous offer, but no, it was purchased on a RAT sale. I was one of the first 5(at that time) to buy one. It came straight from the manufacturer. The bend occurred at the right ear cut-out and was smashed about an inch together. I was able to bend it back somewhat to shape. This didn't bother me as much as the metal flaws. I do enjoy it anyway and nobody can tell.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Gallic F, Reshape? mroberts02 1 747 06-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Last Post: franciscus
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,137 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Deepeeka Gallic a ah6306n Romulus 11 4,981 02-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake