Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman Empire from Severus to Constantine+Late Roman Army
Hello everybody,

I'm interested in ordering these 2 books, both written by Pat Southern, from Amazon.uk.

Does anyone have read them already?
If so, how are they? Are they worth their money?

Thanks,

Eve
Eve
Ah, yet another one who made it here (it's quite lonely at times, you know!).

I have the second book (written with Karen Dixon); it's good enough as a start-off, after you read the Osprey book. However, it contains some errors (read Hugh Elton's exellent review in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 97.2.16), so realise it's not the main book for the period.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ah, yet another one who made it here (it's quite lonely at times, you know!).

I have the second book (written with Karen Dixon); it's good enough as a start-off, after you read the Osprey book. However, it contains some errors (read Hugh Elton's exellent review in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 97.2.16), so realise it's not the main book for the period.

Thanks Robert, for the input.

About the main book, which can you recommend?

Best,
Eve
Eve
I am also interested in what you feel is the main book. I am considering the late Roman army.
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
IMHO a good book about the late roman army is:

[amazon]Warfare in Roman Europe, AD 350-425[/amazon] by Hugh Elton.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Southern & Dixon is surely one to have, and certainly Elton.

If I would have to name a 'main book', I would say Nicasie, Martijn (1997): Twilight of Empire, the Roman Army from the Reign of Diocletian until the Battle of Adrianople, (Thesis Publishers Amsterdam).

But all these books cover fields that the other don't, so they really complement one another. However, Nicasie stands out where it comes to details, references, notes and bibliography.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Jeroen and Robert!

I ordered the 'Elton' book together with 'The Roman Empire from Severus to Constantine'. They are dispatched today, so when I'm on holiday, I can catch up some reading.

Best,
Eve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Empire in 211 CE wall map MD 4 3,148 05-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Last Post: chaf69
  Digital map of the Roman Empire Robert Vermaat 14 8,955 10-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  The Late Roman Army, by Gabrielle Esposito, Art by Giuseppe - a Review Longovicium 19 13,061 07-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Giuseppe Rava