Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baldric question
greetings,

I plan to make a baldric for my gladius. Would the baldric have a working buckle across the chest or no buckle. I've seen examples done both ways and i'm not sure which is correct, or are both styles correct?

Thanks in advance.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
when u say you've seen examples of both do u mean historical examples or examples made by book authors or other reenactors? to my knowledge there are no buckles are baldrics
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Salve!

Yup, I went through this back in May... basically, originals did not have buckles.

Some had circular disks decorating them.

For accuracy... you can wear a baldric and a pugio belt with frogs, in combination. Or two belts with the sword belt and the pugio belt but no baldric.

In all honesty though, I'm sure at some point in the hundreds of years of the Roman Empire, someone, somewhere, wore two baldrics with a pugio belt, or had two pugios on one belt, or two swords and two belts, or strapped their sword to the same belt the pugio was on, or whatever other combination you can think of... there just aren't sculptures or paintings showing that.

The gave stone sculptures are most likely showing the deceased in their best dressed military look, in their most proper Roman solider style, so most recreators base their impressions or 'look' on that. e.g... we never see an original image of a solider wearing one belt with a sword and pugio attached so... we don't wear ours that way.

For recreation... it's always best to stick with known examples, unless you want the authenticity police called!

This thread should help: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=16500
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Right- it cannot be said that no baldric ever had a buckle or some kind of fastener- doubtless somewhere, some time, some guy(s) had them, but I know of a many of depictions of baldrics and not one has a fastener of any kind, so presently it's more 'authentic' to not have one.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Right- it cannot be said that no baldric ever had a buckle or some kind of fastener- doubtless somewhere, some time, some guy(s) had them, but I know of a many of depictions of baldrics and not one has a fastener of any kind, so presently it's more 'authentic' to not have one.
I don't like buckles or fasteners on baldrics. But, I'm sure there's a possible fastener on a depiction somewhere, as I've discussed it with someone a while ago. Maybe the Lancaster cavalryman tombstone? I honestly can't remember right now.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes Jim, it was the Lancaster cavalryman's tombstone.

This detail here looks for all the world like a fastener similar to a horse harness fastener.. (it's still lying in the ground at this point)
[Image: fastener-1.jpg]

This was one of the first published photos. I have since been kindly sent a really Hi-res photo by Adam Parsons, and can categorically say that it is NOT a fastener at all, but a small stone lying on top of the relief! :roll: :roll:
ROFL! :lol: I'm definitely not having any fasteners on my baldric. I might put a pebble on one.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for the input guys. I will not be adding a buckle to my baldric. As i put togeather my impression i want to get everything as authentic as possible, so i'll be asking a lot of questions.

No Roman reenactment groups near where i live, so am planning to start one. There are three of us now and we want to do it correctly. I have reenacted other eras over the last twenty years and want to avoid the mistakes i'v made in the past.

Chuck, the examples of buckles i mentioned were from reenactors and dealers. I have never seen any historical examples of baldrics with buckles.

Thanks again for your help.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Pebble baldric applique- now there's a unique idea :lol:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!