Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keltica RAT offer
Hi all,
Will from Keltica Iron Age Village sent me the following offer:
Quote:As some of you will already know, Keltica Iron Age Village has signed a trade agreement with Daniyal Steelcrafts of India to supply authentic reproduction armour and kit to the Keltica project.

Daniyal Steelcrafts are outsourcers for Deepeeka. We are celebrating this agreement by offering RAT members the following selection of kit at very low prices. This offer is only available until August 1st.

To take advantage of this deal, you can send your payments via Paypal or via money order/international money order in Canadian funds. If you send us a money order, please do so ASAP to ensure it arrives before July 30th.

Simply go to: www.kelticaironagevillage.com click on ‘shop’ and select ‘Re-enactors kit’. Send a description with your Paypal payment or money order and be sure to include the following: Your real name, your society or unit if applicable, your full mailing address and your RAT ID. Also include the DSC# item number and quantity required.

E-mail your order or questions to: shop *AT* kelticaironagevillage.com
To pay via Paypal use: shop *AT* kelticaironagevillage.com

Only current RAT members can take advantage of these prices.

Prices include snail mail shipping within North America.
International RAT members, e-mail us first and we will work out shipping cost options for you.

RAT Discounts BEFORE AUGUST 1st.
[pre]
CDN US
Corbridge Lorica #DSC 02535 $158.00 $150
Dura Europus Scutum # DSC 01620 42" x 33" $210.00 $199
Roman Military Scutum # DSC 01535 42" x 33" $210.00 $199
Clipeus # DSC 01510 42" x 30" $175.00 $167
Imp. Italic 'C' Helmet # DSC 00825 BRASS $158.00 $150
Coolus # DSC 00826 Brass $158.00 $150
Imperial Italic 'G' # DSC 00815 WITH BRASS FITTINGS $158.00 $150
Gallic 'G' Standard # DSC 00810 WITH BRASS FITTINGS / RED PLUME $158.00 $150
Imperial Italic 'D' # DSC 00808 With Brass fittings $158.00 $150
Imperial Galic 'H' # DSC 00805 WITH BRASS FITTINGS $158.00 $150
Roman Balteus # DSC 00200 $115.00 $110
Roman Civilian Sandal # DSC 00115 $53.00 $50
Roman Caligae # DSC 00110 $57.00 $54
Roman Hamata 6mm mild steel $630.00 $600

[/pre]

Keltica has been working with Daniyal Steelcrafts to create a new range of accurate and authentic Celtic Iron Age weapons, helmets & domestic equipment. When these goods become available, we will make a similar offer to RAT & Kelticos members for these products for a short period.
[size=75:2rccutka]
As with all other sales and offers on RAT, we are only the messenger and in no way responsible, nor are we endorsing any of these products.[/size]
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
They may claim to be out-sourcers of Deepeeka , but I would advise that the helmets are nothing like any of the Deepeeka helmets and far less accurate than the new deepeeka range :wink:

The mail shirts are stunning though! They look like the Ashok Rai hamata (I wear one of these)
hmm... nice copy of the SOTW Belt... Which is not made by Deepeeka... Including the mistakes from the last shipment (in fairness, the buckle is different.)

I know that Lorica is not Deepeeka, or the helms (unless they are old models)

Love to see closeups of the shields and mail shirt.

Cop senses tingling
Quote:They may be out-sourcers of Deepeeka , but I would advise that the helmets are less accurate than the new deepeeka range :wink:

The mail shirts are stunning though! They look exactly like the Ashok Rai hamata (I wear one of these)

So what? Deepeeka's new line is trading old mistakes for new ones. At the rate they are going, I'm tempted to buy the knock-offs to save some money.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Roman Hamata 6mm mild steel $630.00 $600

Their site went down and I'm not able to see it.

:? Ok, it came back up. I cannot tell from the photo whether this is the new shirt of alternating riveted and solid rings. Is it?
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Neuraleanus, Yes the hamata is sold ring and riveted ring in alternating rows. As we understand it, this is not the same hamata as Deepeeka sell for half the price. This one is as far as my 15 years in Iron Age & Roman re-enactment is probably the most accurate I've ever seen.

Rusty, We have been under the impression that Daniyal Steel Crafts made your SOTW Belteus, if this is not the case please e-mail us with the specifics, we would rather not stock it if it is solely a SOTW design and pattern. I do know that they have an agreement with Deepeeka regarding lorica and therefore are not able to sell Keltica Newstead pattern Lorica, so it is corbridge only right now.

Peroni, You will find a mixture of the new styles and older styles of helmets with Daniyal Steel Crafts. I have been assured that the Gallic G and H are the new pattern, but can see from their other photo's that the other helmets are the older versions. We will be offerring the Italic D too, but I can tell you that in that case, it IS the older pattern.

Because the equipment is not named as Deepeeka kit, our full prices reflect that point. We are not about to tell everyone we are Deepeeka traders as that would be misleading.

Ultimatley, the good kit we will sell, the bad kit we will end up curtailing.

Right now, if RAT members would like to buy some kit from us, we have a good selection at excellent prices only for RAT, and if you do buy a piece you are helping the Keltica project so we all benefit.

Any questions, please do talk to us, e-mail us we are here to support RAT members and work with you.

Kindest Regards

Will MH
I sent you an email with some details, Copies happen over there all the time, so I certainly do not blame you guys. This email clears up some of my personal confusion too.
Quote:Neuraleanus, Yes the hamata is sold ring and riveted ring in alternating rows. As we understand it, this is not the same hamata as Deepeeka sell for half the price. This one is as far as my 15 years in Iron Age & Roman re-enactment is probably the most accurate I've ever seen.
Can you post some details on your hamata?

1. Width?
2. Length?
3. Wire gauge used?
4. A close-up photo showing the ring construction?
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:Peroni, You will find a mixture of the new styles and older styles of helmets with Daniyal Steel Crafts. I have been assured that the Gallic G and H are the new pattern, but can see from their other photo's that the other helmets are the older versions.

I know, you should be lauded for you kind offer here to the members of RAT and I'm sorry, I do not wish to sound too negative here, but they are NOT Deepeeka older styles at all. They never made helmets like this! I can see a Gallic helmet with a huge groove in the cheek guard! and an Italic C with rivets and decorative bosses on the neck guard, and riveted-on ear guards! This is not the work of Deepeeka!

I worked closely with a UK based importer of this 'Gallic' helmet back in Feb/Mar of 2005, and put together an extensive document detailling what needed to be corrected/amended. (Nothing ever did though!)

Here's a photo from the document pointing out just some of the innacuracies and faults..
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... =GDFB1.jpg

Our group prides itself on accuracy as far as is possible, and I could not recommend these helmets to any new recruits.

Quote:Neuraleanus, Yes the hamata is sold ring and riveted ring in alternating rows. As we understand it, this is not the same hamata as Deepeeka sell for half the price. This one is as far as my 15 years in Iron Age & Roman re-enactment is probably the most accurate I've ever seen.

Yes I have one very similar to these. It's the one I got from Ashok Rai (in Ghaziabad). It's a very well made hamata, well worth the money!

Only the leather is questionable (they used a poor quality or even 'faux' leather) Mine at least has a full leather backing to the shoulder doubling, whereas, looking closely at this one, it does not appear to have a full backing. I can see through the doubling to the tunic underneath (rear view of mail)

Find it Armoury are possibly using the same supplier? Deepeeka are now producing punched and riveted shirts.

3. Wire gauge used?
18ga on mine and two of my Fratres hamatae.

4. A close-up photo showing the ring construction?
All can be seen in the marketplace and GD*B threads :wink: I posted a lot of pics there.

Rusty wrote..
Quote:hmm... nice copy of the SOTW Belt... Which is not made by Deepeeka... Including the mistakes from the last shipment (in fairness, the buckle is different.)

Looks like they copied one of Len Morgan's belts!

Quote:The latest in well made, well researched belteus and fittings

So well researched, that they have not placed the buckle hinge tag under the first plate.[/quote]
Dear All,

'Daniyal Steelcrafts'... we have never heard of this name before. It is a total misrepresentation if they claim to be our out-sourcers. We have nothing to do with this company & have never dealt with them in the past. This is the first time this name occurs in front of us.
Quote:4. A close-up photo showing the ring construction?
The ring construction is all there in the photo of the hamata, if you look at the background surrounding the overall photos. At least I'm assuming that's a closeup used as the background. Stamped solid rings and riveted.

Added: The hamata doesn't look like the Ashok-Rai or the Find-It one IMHO. The shoulder doubling is less wide than the A-R version but wider than the Find-It version, and the hooks and studs look different to either's.

As for the belt; The terminal pendants do look like SOTW's, but the SOTW plates are similar to Len's but seemingly thinner (I have such a belt by Len), as are the apron terminals and pendants. The Daniyal apron discs however look decorated, unlike the SOTW version (according to the photos there).

There's a limited amount of primary resources and references, so it's not particularly surprising that so much gear should be very similar to each other.

To make it clear, I'm not saying anyone's copying anyone, I'm just looking at the details and comparing them to each other, and pointing out that popular buyers' choices are going to be made by all and sundry at some point.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
not too bad though eh?

So what has happened to Ashok anyway?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
They are actually a little different, it was the black apron straps that were the same as our last shipment that were so amusingly similar, and plates. I saw the different buckle, and now I see the different terminal pendants. In any event, Keltica did express concern, but I am okay with their answer and am all for more variation in gear. I am concerned that they are being sold a bill of goods that may not be all it is cracked up to be. We choose the wolf and twins for our first belt because it was the symbol of Legio VI. New ones coming out shortly will be more "plain". In any event, I hope Keltica can work things out so we have good gear coming in. I think they plan to specialize in the Keltik side anyway, so It will be better.
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thank you Rusty for being professional and courteous enough to find time to discuss all the facts regarding the photo of the Balteus rather than spark a war of words which any poor leader can do. SOTW is definitely someone Keltica will do business with in the future.

As a result of our quiet diplomacy, Keltica will remove the balteus from our site within the next 24hrs.

Thank you too, for all of the concerns, comments and questions raised by RAT members. Keltica has begun to think carefully about the merits of the points raised.

As such, Keltica has decided to refrain from jumping on the treadmill of 100% accuracy because we recognize that nothing in life is perfect. Who is to say that if a much coveted 2nd Gallic G is ever found, what will re-enactors do if it has mild differences from the one we currently know of?

If Keltica was un-educated enough to sell ‘trooper’ helmets, furry boots and 18th century Claymores as ‘Authentic Roman kit’ then potential customers would have every right to be upset. Keltica is not making people buy the kit we have, if customers prefer Deepeeka then they have every right to do so in our free market economy and to think otherwise would be just plain silly.

Instead, after careful consultation with Daniyal Steel Crafts, we have agreed to take one step up in the accuracy stakes only.

We will eventually be offering accurate Caligae and Balteus based on information & photo’s from actual ‘finds’ with the help of the British Museum, together with input from the Ermine Street Guard and other academic/curatorial advisors.

Already we have mailed examples of GOOD veg tan leather and BAD chrome tanned leather to India, so we would expect that change to take place as soon as possible. So no more black leather! hurray

Remember, the main catalyst why Keltica is dealing with Daniyal Steelcrafts is because they approached us at a time when multiple contacts requesting business with Deepeeka had failed to bear any fruit at all, despite our best efforts to forge ties.

By the way, for those who are interested: The 6mm Hamata is Mild steel, 16 gauge and weighs in at 15.50lbs exactly. It is 48 Inches across at full stretch and 32 inches long.

Thanks to the three of you who have already order a set each from us. We are confident that your feedback will allay further fears about the quality of the Daniyal Steelcrafts kit.

We do hope this goes someway towards answering your questions

Kindest Regards

Will MH
Thanks for being up front Will. I for one would like a canadian dealer in equipment, even if the accuracy isn't quite 100%, and especially if this Daniyal is willing to improve on their gear.

Legion: TBD