Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IOVI OPTIMO MAXIMO! Wire Inlay is Easier Than You Think!
Well there you are then- I'd say you're a little more free with your choices of decoration since you're not trying for a super-authentic piece. I don't know how easy this technique of inlay would work on 4130 steel though- the Romans did it in plain iron and I did it in regular mild steel- something with a rather higher carbon content plus chromium and molybdenum might not work so well, especially after you further harden it by all the forming that'll be necessary.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Yep, that is the rub there. While shaping the piece, it will harden very quckly making it very difficult to make the channels. When the piece is tempered, might as well forget it. What I was thinking while the piece is flat, to make the channels beforhand. Shape the piece and then temper it. When that is done, place the inlay wire into the channel and the clean up the entire piece with sanding and buffing. I probably will be using 12 gauge Bronze Wire from the ringlord for the inlay. This is my theory at least Big Grin I will probably practice on a piece of scrap and see how it works making a channel, curving it and throwing into the kiln, then seeing if I can put in the inlay and sand it down. Thanks for the grat inspiration btw!!
Jason Bressie

Aedinius Sextus Maximus
Sure thing- I hope you get it to work. The thing is that I know the level of shaping necessary and I'd be dubious that the channels will survive the shaping particularly well. But then again your test piece should help you determine whether or not this would happen :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Worst scenerio I could put inlay in the Segmentata since the curves are not near as complex. That would look really nice on the shoulders.
Jason Bressie

Aedinius Sextus Maximus
But that would definitely be a real fantasy piece because the segmentata was definitely not something that'd be decorated with inlay. The fittings on it weren't even straight or consistently-placed afterall- it was 'inexpensive' armor.

Oh and there's no real reason to use bronze wire- brass would be just as, if not more, appropriate- and it's a lot less-expensive usually.
Yeah, so true, and as being Roman minded I am very practical. SO, I will learn on the inlay and see what I can do with it like a scabbard inlay or something else.
Jason Bressie

Aedinius Sextus Maximus
I thought there was an iron musculata found. Gioi posted some pics a while back, which was iron!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Found it. I hope Gioi does not mind me posting his picture!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Comerus/cuir.jpg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh SUPER COOL- I missed this one- what thread is it in? I'd love to know where that's from, whose it is, etc.
It's in a museum in Corfu, nice helmet there too! Check out thegreek reenactor thread, and it is in the link for Macedonian armour
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=16559

on the first or second page of the thread!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yeah tis true I am making it out of .032 4130 steel I have ready to go. I am or will be using for fighting (SCA) so I need it pretty tough. I do want make a bronze casted applique of a Gorgon fo rthe front, but that will be a little further down the road Big Grin

After making it in steel, you could probably get it brass plated, that way it could be tough as steel and brassy as well... brass.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:Worst scenerio I could put inlay in the Segmentata since the curves are not near as complex. That would look really nice on the shoulders.

I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing with my seg I'm making--granted, I'm making it a very slow-going process, but I think that wire inlay in the shoulders would look really cool Big Grin )
Brandon Shifflet
Quote:Finally with some emery cloth then finer sandpaper (or a file/disc or belt sander if necessary) and it's done.

what grit of sandpaper do you deem "finer"?
Brandon Shifflet
Well it's more an issue of personal choice, which is why I wasn't specific- you could go all the way to 1000 grit if you wanted- it's simply a matter of how smooth and shiny you want the surface to be. For this test piece I think I just went to 320 or 400.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enamel and brass inlay on pugio sheaths Marcus Mummius 9 2,770 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Pugios and silver inlay Caballo 23 4,578 12-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS