Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass Wire
Where could someone purchase the "low Brass" that Dr. Mike Bishop was talking about for segmentata hinges. I was thinking about using it for some riveted chainmail.

I think that the alloy code is C240 (80:20 copper:zinc). I am having difficulty finding it here in the States in 20 and 22 gauge thickness in wire form.

Any help as to where I can purchase it either in the States or in Europe would be appreicated.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There doesn't seem to be all that much difference in the mechanical properties between C24000 (80/20) and C26000 (70/30)- considerably less than the difference between them and C22000 (90/10)- and I'd doubt there's much difference in their appearances given that C23000 ('red' brass 85/15) still looks a lot more like brass than copper. RME2 mentions an ingot of orichalcum from Colchester Sheepen being analyzed to consist of 26.8% zinc as well- just 3.2% off C26000- so it's unlikely many would say C26000, which is widely available, is so far off as to be wrong.

This site shows the properties, etc., just change the alloy code to see the others: [url:1p07rghr]http://www.anchorbronze.com/c26000.htm[/url]
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Brass mail?? :?

The only find of this type I am aware of is the VERY small section of 3mm copper alloy rings found at the Lunt Fort site in Coventry.

[Image: luntmail.jpg]
[Image: LuntMailAfterSimkins.jpg]

Other than that copper alloy seems only to have been used as decorative inserts or edges.

I'm sure that if Erik sees this thread he will correct me if I'm wrong! :wink:
Actually in my experience there is a big difference between C230 Red Brass 15% zinc and the much more common C260 Yellow Brass 30% zinc.

To my eye, they are virtually indistinguishable, however red brass is often said to look more like gold. Maybe this is true. Maybe I just haven't seen enough gold. Though that wouldn't make the Romans like it less certainly if true.

Red Brass is much closer to Roman orichalcum. It has the big advantage of beng able to work it hot, which you can not do with yellow brass. Things that require repeated anealing with yellow brass, become a snap with red brass. Just heat to a nice glow and away you go.

Finding red brass can be a bit of a challenge. Apparently it is often used in making American Indian Jewelry. My two sources of supply are Thunderbird Supply www.thunderbirdsupply.com/ and Santa Fe Jewelers Supply www.sfjssantafe.com. I have not used J.S. Ritter , but they are another source. www.jsritter.com. They all have a select of wire and sheet in various gauges.

Red brass does have one rather peculiar property. When it is heated to a glowing temperature the outside layer actually turns a coppery red. This can be cleaned off without too much difficulty. In fact when cleaning off the black you may miss it if not careful.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius