Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th century dagger?
What kind of daggers would the soldiers have been using at the turn of the 5th century in a place like Dacia?
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Search for Sintana de Mures - Chernjahov culture weapons. As far as I know (and I don't know much) they would use knife or spatha, not dagger. But if there is possibility that some kind of ringknauf eastern origin short swords were used in that territory, someone else would say? Smile
update:
Ihave checked onliest literature that I have now by me, Beitraege zu Roemischer und barbarischer Bewaffnung in der ersten vier nachchristlichen Jahrhunderten, Marburg 1994, and there is little about V century romanian teritory weapons. But there is an interesting article von Hannsjorg Ubl-Wann verschwand der Dolch vom roemischen Militaerguertel? When dissapeared the dagger from roman Military belt? (this is my translation lol)
In brief he bases his thesis of third century dagger disappearance, on material, iconographic- stelae and literature evidence. He searches the reason in introduction of spatha, which replaces the gladius.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th century dagger/knife Poftim 13 3,459 09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Peroni