Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalanx painting - where did it come from?
I downloaded the below image entitled "GreekFestival" sometime in 2006 and can't remember where it came from! Does anyone know who created it, where I can find it again, and if there are any more works available by the same artist? Thanks.
honestly, i could probably paint you something similar, i wont say equal or better, but certainly similar, though id rather it were a legion, lol. im working on some art inspired of antiquity currently, mostly architectural studies and such but i plan some mural/fresco and mosaic stuff too. i'll post some to RAT when im done. i'll keep an eye out for the artist too or other such work and shoot ya a message if i come across something.
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Gioi gave most info.
You can also see it here:
http://www.spartan-world.de/sparta.html - and then click on heraldry
It is an attempt of an accurate reconstruction of the first day in Thermopylae according to the info we had three years ago.
Check in the Greek shield devices thread for info on the emblems.

Nothing is purely artists impression. Everything is based on Herodotus Stabo and above all Plutarchs "Lakonian proverbs" and our renacting experience.

Kind regards
question right quick, anyone, why the varied shield emblems wouldnt they have similar art/iconography? or do i assume too much given what i understand of the legions?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
It's because the army was not proffesional in most cities.And even in Sparta that was kind of proffesional from the early ages,the bond with the family and clan and the dedication to some God or Deity was very strong.
Also,the way of fighting-in a phalanx-ensured that nobody would fight against his own comrades(though this happened occasionally but rarely).And the armies were not so large to need different emblems to destinguish different units.Athens and Sparta had about 10000 soldiers in the begining of the fifth century.
Finally,in these small comunities,every soldier was willing to identify himself to show his bravery in battle.At least this indicates the story of the Spartan that was ridiculed by his friends for painting a fly on his shield of real size.They supposed he did this not to be identified in battle when he would flee,but he responded that he would be so close to the enemy that the fly would look big like a lion.Thia according to Ploutarch,not nessesarily true but does show that notion for identificatio by shield emblems.It may have been the primary reason actually.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks to everyone for your help and especially to Stefanos for the excellent artwork! I would love to see a work of similar detail of two phalanxes engaged in battle as I don't believe I've ever seen one. Have any of you?

Thanks again!
I suspect you want more engaged phalanxes,but does this satisfies you?
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Very nice! That picture sure helps... Thanks, Giannis.
To set the record straight the artwors wsa done by my friend Nikos Panos.
NOT me!

I suggest the thread Greek shield devices for those who want more info.
Please also check "Othismos true nature" and "wheeling the phalanx" thread for the mechanic of close order fighting.

Kind regards