Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 new ovens opened
Today, The Museumpark Orientalis, in the Heilig Landstichting, near Nijmegen, The Netherlands, opened their 2 new roman ovens. On for making loaf, the other for pottery. Both are made by the Dutch Archeologist Robert van Zijll de Jong, who has also built historical ovens in the TheArcheon and Historical openair Museum Eindhoven. Here are some pics, for those who're interested.

s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb2/jvrjenivs/MuseumparkOrientalis/Ovens/
ALA I BATAVORUM
Salve Jvrjenivs! Thanks for sharing the pics! I thought Orientalis was not set on becoming a "Roman" park? The reconstruction of the small potters oven is puzzling, as the loading area of the oven seems unlogicly placed at the rear of the oven with a wooden post blocking easy acces. Any thoughts?? Did you get the design explained?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Hi Robert,

The Museumpark Orientalis will still have their "Via Orientalis" in the new total design of the park. It will remain roman, because we will show the birth of the christianity there. But that little part of the museum will be the only witch will still be 'historical'. All the other area's will become more modern to show the other themes, they want to show their visitors.

I don't understand what you meant by the design of the oven. It was built (as far as I know) by as much roman findings as possible. Robert has well researched this (toghether with Haalebos). The loading area is on the left side of the oven and you could easily sit down their. At this moment there are about 30 items inside and the total loading area could host about 50 to 60 items. (because it is half below ground). In a couple of weeks I could get more paintings of the construction if you would like. (because I'll be not in the park next 3 weeks).

I talked a lot with Robert about his work, on both the ovens, and was with him some times at the building stages. He's very tallented and know what he's talking about.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jvrjenivs,

Thanks! The left side makes more sense, but it was difficult to find the right orientation on the pictures. I too have spoken to Robert, great guy, nice enthousiastic wife as well, we will surely invite him to research the larger oven and fieldoven we are planning in the park, should this even come to pass. He really makes beautifull replica's of Roman pottery and as you say, he is VERY good Big Grin I would indeed be very interested in more material!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin