Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes
Hi Mark,

thanks for your feedback on how the color is behaving over time!

Quote:The "heart" designs on the Commacio bag have started to do the same, being they have become a blackish - brown.

Interesting, since with my bag, which is exactly the same, the color is a very dark grey, almost black, but no brown in it.

Quote:I do wonder though if this "browning" is part of the oxidization process of the iron in the dye, much like a rust?

That might well be possible, at least it would make sense to my far-from-any-chemistry-education-brain ;-) )

Quote:What other dyes have you considered using other than iron or madder. Do you think Woad would work for a blue on leather?

Actually now that we have received back a bunch of goat skins (alum tanned) from the tanner this is what I'm thinking about trying next :-) ) . Since alum tanned leather seems to be a good choice for dyeing I would also like to try greens and yellows some day....

Messages In This Thread
Re: Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes - by Martin Moser - 09-11-2007, 05:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuning 3th c. shoes into the 4-5th century ones? Virilis 7 2,170 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Virilis