Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3t8abwdf Wrote:Is it soldiers footwear tho?, seems light in the leather thickness. And hobnails?

As for whether this is a soldier's shoe, well, we can't be absolutely sure, but since it is well into the male sizes and was found at Bar Hill (and similar finds occur at the Saalburg and one more military site which I don't remember at the moment, chances are good they were.

With the Bar Hill example, only the upper is left, but the almost identical shoe from the Saalburg shows nailing over practically all the sole area, another indicator of military use normally.

Thanks Martin, I have just recieved a goatskin hide today, so it is a bit mind boggling to me that it was used for these shoes! Confusedhock: 8)

Hobnailed soles are a good sign anyway.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuning 3th c. shoes into the 4-5th century ones? Virilis 7 2,164 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Virilis