Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius question
Quote:WOW,

that just looks fantastic!! That looks like a custom job. Who made it?

V/r
Mike

I recognize the hand of Matt Lukes in the handle at least, probably the scabbard was also made by him.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Len morgan Is going to be making one for my Alectus. Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Jef,
You are the closest. The grip, pommel and guard are the wonderful work of Matt Lukes. The blade is by Mark Morrow, and it's a razor! The scabbard is by Len Morgan.
Originally, I purchased a Mainz Fulham gladius and scabbard from Len Morgan's shop. The blade was heavy and made from rather cheap soft metal. So I sent the blade to Mark and had him make a duplicate, but in the materials he uses for his excellent blades.
When I received the new blade, the old pommel, guard, and grip no longer fit. They were also not accurate for the type of gladius. That's where Matt Lukes comes in. I sent him the blade, and the result is what you see.
Because the Morrow blade has the exact dimensions of the Morgan blade, the scabbard works just fine. The process took about a year, but I think it's worth it. No way this baby's getting away from daddy!
T.Fabius Rufio/Jeff Crean
LEG~XX

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx">www.larp.com/legioxx
......it should be noted that, as with all roman military equipment, the introduction of a new type of equipment does not mean the demise of the old. Personal preference,"family heirloom", and cost of replacement and a host of other reasons make for a very slow easing out of a particular style.
Two examples suffice:
The first modification to the curved scutum was to cut off the top and bottom, and this appears in the last quarter of the 1st centuryB.C. - but its predecessor is shown being carried by Praetorians a hundred years later. Similarly, the straight sided scutum appears in the middle of the 1st century A.D. , but the curved sided type is shown in use alongside it on monuments a hundred years after that !
With regard to helmets, "Montefortino" types start to be replaced by "Coolus","Imperial Gallic" and "Imperial Italic" from around 50B.C onwards, but a montefortino helmet was found at the battlesite of Second Cremona,69 A.D. - once again over a hundred years later !!
Also, just because the 'latest' find dates from, say, 70 A.D doesn't mean it was not used well after that date, because the archaeological artifacts found are so few in comparison to the tens of thousands of weapons in use at the time........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I tend to agree. Plus, you never know when daddy decides to pass his gear on to his son. Would make for a colourful backround to your impression if you so chose to do so. 8)

Legion: TBD
I think we agreed on this a while back! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks everyone for your input, it gives me some good options on the impression i'm putting togeather.

Tiberius, that is a fantastic looking gladius, thanks for posting the pic.

Maius/Bill Lund
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
i was informed at one point that a historicaly correct gladius, would not have groves cut in the blade yet we see this if we scroll down the page at http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... ack.htmlat (nicely provided by pertinax-thank you) so they might have had this grove etching what not?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Quote:i was informed at one point that a historicaly correct gladius, would not have groves cut in the blade yet we see this if we scroll down the page at http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... ack.htmlat (nicely provided by pertinax-thank you) so they might have had this grove etching what not?
Which one? I don't see a gladius with a groove?
Proper URL is http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... ttack.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Do you possibly mean the photo entitled "Scabbard decoration for the Gladius Hispanensis, Leiden Museum, NL?" There's a pugio blade shown displayed next to the sword.
That is what Iwas thinking!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Its the one near the bottom of the page Big Grin ?:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I thought that was what was termed a semi-spatha? A later roman welded patern sword wit hfullers?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
well whatever it is, yes pugio maybe, i had thought the grove wasnt really historicaly accurate, so it is then...on spatha, semi spatha and pugio, i just would like to know, this is something im trying to become more educated in as i intend to construct/commision a gladius soon, so i want to know whats what obvioulsy. also if i design my own decorative fittings any smith worth his forge ought be able produce them yes, i really want a pompei style gladius with the she wolf and twins and maybe mars on the other side, and ofcourse given my legion affiliation a capricorn, pegasus or vespasian would fit nicely too! thanks again guys, for being the knowledge base!
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius length question Ptolemy Euergetes 5 3,689 09-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Pompeii gladius weight question zlatev 3 2,851 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: pmel018
  Pugio and Gladius Question Doc 17 3,923 11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius