Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Late) (Roman) Formations
Robert,

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try to get the Wheeler articles, especially those on legion as phalanx, republished in "Ancient Warfare"? I'd love to read them myself as I'm interested in the army during the 3rd and 4th centuries AD.

Theo
Belfast
BTW,

Ammianus, XXVI - 6,10

Therefore when the two armies beheld each other, the Romans glittering with their crested helmets, and brandishing their shields, proceeded slowly, their bands playing an anapaestic measure; and after a preliminary skirmish, carried on by the missiles of the front rank, they rushed to battle with such vehemence that the earth trembled beneath them.

Don't you think that the anapaestum rythm (short-short-long) is very suitable for a short approach in the closer phase with all the shields locked, to adjust the measure (at short-short) and so push sharply (at the long) and striking immediately then? A well disciplined formation can be very effective to coordinate itself firstly to throw the missiles (after the long), then, in the final impact (at a further long), and it could make sense both to boost the effectiveness of a less deeper but long line and of a deeper line too.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try to get the Wheeler articles, especially those on legion as phalanx, republished in "Ancient Warfare"? I'd love to read them myself as I'm interested in the army during the 3rd and 4th centuries AD.

Hi Theo,

As a series? These articles are way too large for a mag like AW...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ammianus, XXVI - 6,10

Therefore when the two armies beheld each other, the Romans glittering with their crested helmets, and brandishing their shields, proceeded slowly, their bands playing an anapaestic measure; and after a preliminary skirmish, carried on by the missiles of the front rank, they rushed to battle with such vehemence that the earth trembled beneath them.

Very pertinent quote, laudes Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:
Theo:26o98pp6 Wrote:I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try to get the Wheeler articles, especially those on legion as phalanx, republished in "Ancient Warfare"? I'd love to read them myself as I'm interested in the army during the 3rd and 4th centuries AD.

Hi Theo,

As a series? These articles are way too large for a mag like AW...

How about a reprint series available through AW? These articles can be a beggar to get your hands on outside of the educational establishment, which... doesn't seem very... educational....

Even when an article is listed by some vendors out there, it's actually unavailable a lot of the time.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Guys,

Yes, something like that would do me. I have never seen the original articles so had no idea as to their size. I've seen them referred to several times in the course of the last year or two but none of the references mantioned their length.

Theo
Belfast

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military formations MonsGraupius 12 2,879 09-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: antiochus
  Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. Bryan 89 20,016 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Roman Army Formations Flavivs Aetivs 3 1,329 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs