Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HORSE Brooch Question
Does any one no if brooches of this type came in pairs ,the reason is the small ring on tail,did it take a chain :?: , if yes Ill have to make another.The origonal is from Gloucestershire.
[Image: Picture007-1.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Brennivs,

Nice job! Is it bronze with enamel?

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Gaivs no I made the brooch from copper rarther than the bronze I have,and I used coloured paste to fill the voids .Some day I might invest in a enamal kiln it is quite easy to do, thanks for asking. Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
There are other horse brooches that have been found with this ring on the tail, infact the one you have made is identicle even to the decorative panels as one found in Norfolk. This information is taken from my Richard Hattatt book on Brooches of Antiquity, where he refers to that ring as being a chain ring. So it looks like you may have to make another one facing left Tony.
Brian Stobbs
I have just checked again Tony, that is the Hattatt book and there does not appear to be any left facing horse brooches. Also when it comes to inlays, dont worry so much about a kiln, for the original brooch I had was indeed only filled with paste type mixture. As also Roman beltplates that I have.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Philvs Big Grin ? D chears.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs