Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary feats of fitness
Quote:During the Judean revolt, the one in the 60s C.E., a legionary named Rufus who, iirc, was originally from Egypt, suddenly broke out of his file and charged over to the Jewish lines and picked up one of their leaders by the ankle and physically carried him back to his own lines as a prisoner. Incredible.
ROFL Big Grin Sounds like modern police "snatching" during riots.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
No, it wasn't a legionary, it was a cavalryman named Pedanius.
After an attack against the roman fortification around Jerusalem, he pursued the fleeing aggressors and snatched a strong and well armed young man.
From his galloping horse he had down-bent so deep to grip the foot ankle!!
Quote:No, it wasn't a legionary, it was a cavalryman named Pedanius.
After an attack against the roman fortification around Jerusalem, he pursued the fleeing aggressors and snatched a strong and well armed young man.
From his galloping horse he had down-bent so deep to grip the foot ankle!!
S AUFIDIUS, there were two separate incidents, one involving the cavalryman Pedanius outside Jerusalem and another one involving a legionary named Rufus. In the latter case he nabbed one of the leaders of the revolt, not just a rank and file person. I'm pretty sure I read both incidents in Josephus.
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
sounds familiar. Still trying to get through that.....hardest read I've ever had for some reason! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well spotted, Dave Bell !! Since the RAT site server has been down since last thursday, I spent a little time researching to find more "feats".
The one you recalled is in Caesar's Gallic Wars at VII.3. during the Gergovia campaign.The Aedui, a previuosly loyal tribe were persuaded to rebel and sent their army off to join Vercingetorix. Caesar was "much perturbed", and immediately set off with"four legions in light marching order and all the cavalry" , leaving a very reduced force to hold the camp.
Caesar tells us they marched 25 (roman) miles,23-24 english miles, 38 km, talked the Aedui out of rebelling, while the troops had 3 hours rest, then set off back to Gergovia. Halfway back they received a message that the camp was under attack, accelerated their pace, and arrived back in camp before sunrise !!
Thus 16-20,000 legionaries and cavalry (albeit in light order, like Nero's men) covered 50 (roman)miles, 47-48 English miles,76 km in less than 24 hours, resting 3 hours - i.e the actual march took less than 21 hours.
All the more impressive because, unlike Nero, Caesar's march was not on a good straight Roman road (for the most part), but on Gallic tracks/cross-country !
If this seems incredible, compare three other well-documented feats, all similar.
In 1809, in Spain, the British Light Brigade (light infantry) covered 42-45 miles in 26 hours, over mountainous terrain and scorching heat in an effort to reach the battle of Talavera ( but just missed it).
In the American Civil War, General Nathaniel Lyons regiment were dubbed"The Iowa Greyhounds" for covering 48 miles in under 24 hours !
In Sicily during 1943, a U.S army infantry battalion covered 56 miles(90 km) in 33hours over hilly terrain, cross-country !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:In Sicily during 1943, a U.S army infantry battalion covered 56 miles(90 km) in 33hours over hilly terrain, cross-country !
Did that battalion belong to 3rd Infantry Division by any chance?
Imad
Quote:sounds familiar. Still trying to get through that.....hardest read I've ever had for some reason! Confused
Really :? ? That was one of my most enjoyable history books, in spite of it's blatant one-sidedness. I read it three times so far.
Imad
The last of the reported feats sounds all very credible. What would set the first example apart was the long duration of the march with so many kilometres per day.
Wolfgang Zeiler
Quote:The last of the reported feats sounds all very credible. What would set the first example apart was the long duration of the march with so many kilometres per day.
Would the combat equipment of a legionary be any heavier than the field kit and weapons and ammo of a US soldier in 1943? I'd have thought not particularly, and Romans didn't smoke either. Smile
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, Gladius Hispanienses, the battalion was the 3rd Bn, 30th regt, 3rd division "The Blue and White Devils".
Colonel Truscott invented a marching pace of 5mph for an hour, then 4 mph for the next. He called it the 'Truscott Trot'.

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Yes, Gladius Hispanienses, the battalion was the 3rd Bn, 30th regt, 3rd division "The Blue and White Devils".
Colonel Truscott invented a marching pace of 5mph for an hour, then 4 mph for the next. He called it the 'Truscott Trot'.
Thought so. I knew 3rd Div. was famous for the Truscot Trot. The men hated him for it though!
Imad
Quote:
geala:3aihv89b Wrote:The last of the reported feats sounds all very credible. What would set the first example apart was the long duration of the march with so many kilometres per day.
Would the combat equipment of a legionary be any heavier than the field kit and weapons and ammo of a US soldier in 1943? I'd have thought not particularly, and Romans didn't smoke either. Smile

I don't know what the GIs had to bear but normally the burden of soldiers from the 18th to 20th c. AD was higher or at least as high as that of the Romans. Nevertheless, 15 days and about 70 kilometres a day, that is a very hard task even if the legionaries wore no armour and just carried their weapons and shields. Of course the will can master a lot...
Wolfgang Zeiler
Quote:Of course the will can master a lot...
Especially perhaps if all of their worldly belongings, money, and funerary funds are about to be looted and lost forever.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah, Geala/Wolfgang, it is good to have a ‘doubting Thomas’ amongst us, in order to put matters to the test ! Of course, you are not the first to doubt this feat, but I am a great believer in accepting the sources unless there is a very good reason not to. Time and again, as remarked elsewhere, the sources, though doubted, are proven correct. So when I saw your first post, and The Great Crash of the site occurred, I decided to look further into it……..
The normal Roman marching pace ( according to Vegetius) was 100 paces (i.e. two 30 inch steps) per minute, and they expected to normally cover 15-21 miles in seven hours in the morning, then dig the camp ,patrol and forage in the afternoon. This equates well with the standard British Army rate of an average 3m.p.h, marching 50 minutes and resting 10 each hour. (see Watson, G.R. “The Roman Soldierâ€

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Here is yet another example of Legionary marching prowess !! Big Grin

In 133 B.C. Scipio Aemilianus ( the destroyer of Carthage in 146 B.C.) invested the Celt-Iberian city of Numantia, which had been a thorn in Rome's side and had inflicted several humiliating defeats on her. He decided to starve it out and built a wall completely surrounding it. In desperation, Rhetogenes Caraunius with five companions stealthily left the city aided by servants and having with them horses and a folding ramp/bridge. They surprised a section of wall, killed the guards and using the folding ramp/bridge, got their horses over the wall and sped away, while the servants dismantled the ramp/bridge and returned.They attempted to rouse the towns of their fellow Arevaci tribesmen to come to their relief, generally to no avail.
In one town, Lutia, some 300 stades (55 km) from Numantia, certain young men clamoured enthusiastically to join. Their older and wiser citizens secretly sent a message to Scipio, who received it "about the eighth hour". Scipio swiftly assembled a force, lightly equipped, and by daylight next morning he had surrounded Lutia.....
This means that, allowing, say, an hour or two to assemble his force, they marched the 300 stades (55km, 33 miles) and surrounded the town in something less than 14-15 hours,mostly at night, across hilly/mountainous terrain, probably on a track........
The distance and speed are not perhaps as impressive as in earlier examples, but it is still impressive when the difficulties are taken into account. :o o 8)
source: Appian,VI.94 Loeb edition

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Soldier Diet and fitness Sparta07 16 16,833 06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius