Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary feats of fitness
When reading military history, I am often struck by some of the incredible marches undertaken, usually out of military necessity, by soldiers across sometimes incredibly tough terrain and in all kinds of extreme weather.
The inspiration for this thread came from reading the 'weight of legionary equipment thread', and memories of leading teams of 'grunts' in battle order, in long-distance marching competitions here in Australia. These were run by the Dutch community with various categories, in imitation of the famous 'Nijmegen marches'. Competing in just one of these was enough to make a 'tiro' expert on boot comfort and fitting !!! Not to mention treatment of blisters etc !!

For mine, one of the best feats of this type was carried out by a group of legionaries in 207 B.C........
In 216 B.C Hannibal had crushed the Roman army at Cannae, and his strategy of breaking up the Roman confederation was on the verge of success, with the defection of Italy's second biggest city, Capua, and most of Southern Italy.
Since then, the strategy of Fabius Cunctator("the delayer") had allowed Rome to build up her armies, nibble back the defectors town by town (Hannibal couldn't be everywhere ) until by 207 B.C. Rome fielded no less than 23 legions, plus a similar number of allies - over 200,000 men - to confront her enemies in various theatres.
This year would see the "watershed" of Hannibal's war.
As Spring and the campaigning season opened, Hannibal emerged from his winter camp in Bruttium( the toe of Italy), and by clever skirmishing and sudden marches began to move North, dogged as ever by the Romans.....
Meanwhile, his brother Hasdrubal shook off his foes in Spain, and crossed the Alps with a similar army to his brother, including Africans, Spaniards and elephants.
As he swept down the Po valley (Cisalpine Gaul), like his brother ten years earlier, he recruited thousands of Gauls...In the face of numbers, the Consul Marcus Livius Salinator gave ground, back to the Adriatic east coast.
Hasdrubal sent four Celtic horsemen and two Numidians as scouts to take a message to Hannibal as to where to meet. These intrepid troopers rode the length of Italy undetected and arrived in Bruttium. (what an epic journey that must have been !! Hundreds of kilometres through enemy territory !! ).There they learnt that Hannibal had already moved North. They headed after him but their luck ran out near Tarentum ( modern Taranto in the "instep" of Italy ) and they were captured. They were sent to the other Consul, an inveterate enemy of Livius, incidently, who was keeping close watch on Hannibal, at Canusium in the River Aufidus (modern Ofanto), just below the "spur" on Italy's heel and not too far from Cannae. A crisis as great, if not greater, than Cannae now arose.
Two Punic armies on the loose in Italy, and bent on joining up and crushing the Romans in between !
But, as the saying goes, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man!"
That man was the Consul Marcus Claudius Nero who had saved the Army in Spain the year before, following the deaths of the two elder Scipios (Publius and Gnaeus, father and uncle of Scipio Africanus-to-be ).
Nero sent Hasdrubal's message on to the Senate, but in this terrible crisis he did not wait. Instead he embarked on a feat of arms that has won him undying fame in the Annals of Rome.
The same night he selected 6,000 of his best soldiers, and 1,000 of his best cavalry, told them to bring only their arms (i.e. travelling "light" ) and slipped away up the Aufidus valley under cover of the darkness, allegedly to surprise a Lucanian town loyal to Hannibal.
As dawn broke and the tired troops had climbed into the foothills of the Apenine mountains, Nero briefly halted and told his men the truth........their real objective was to head north, re-inforce Livius, defeat Hasdrubal and get back before Hannibal noticed they were gone!! They would not halt in the afternoon to camp, forage and eat, but, to paraphrase the French Foreign Legion, they were to "March or Die!". Nero sent on messengers to arrange food and drink to be brought to the roadside, so nothing would slow them.
One of history's most gruelling marches began.
They marched 475-500km(295-310 miles), the first 230(143 miles) or so through the Apennine mountains, coming down to the coast at Larino ( the other side of the "spur") and then a 250km(155 miles) 'sprint' (!!) north up the coast to Sena Gallica (modern Senagallia, north of Ancona).En route they were joined by veterans and teenagers not yet called up, swelling their numbers. Everyone understood the massive crisis at hand.
They did this in an astonishing seven days (!!!) arriving in Livius camp after dark on the seventh day. Next day at dawn ( no rest for these heroes! ) the Consuls marched out to give battle, but Hasdrubal smelt a rat, refused battle and that night attempted to escape up the River Metaurus valley.By dint of hard,fast marching (what, more??? ) the Romans caught Hasdrubal......The battle of the Metaurus was won, and Nero and his heroes played a prominent part in the fighting. In the afternoon the Romans stormed Hasdrubal's camp.
That same evening ( what, not even an hour to celebrate? ) they headed south, this time straight down the coast road - 400km (248.6 miles)or so, this time in six days !!
The first Hannibal knew of it was when Roman cavalry flung Hasdrubal's head in to his outposts. Hannibal retired back into Bruttium never to emerge into Italy again.....
In fifteen days, they had marched around 900km(560 miles)not counting the 30+ km (20 miles aprox) chase up the Metaurus valley, and spent a day fighting a battle and storming a camp...meaning they averaged around 69km(43 miles) a day, more than a quarter of it over mountains. And this is not a bunch of elite athletes, or 'special forces' nor were they professional soldiers ( though admittedly the best third or so of Nero's army) but ordinary legionaries, augmented by 'old men' veterans and 'boys' !!
Now I know there are many other legionary "feats of fitness", perhaps fellow RATters might care to post favourites here ?
Can professionals of Imperial Rome, or the Late Empire, match the early Republican "amateurs" ??
The Challenge is on !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Whoops !! Wrong Forum ! Could a moderator move it across, please ?

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
You mentuioned....These were run by the Dutch community with various categories, in imitation of the famous 'Nijmegen marches'. Competing in just one of these was enough to make a 'tiro' expert on boot comfort and fitting !!! Not to mention treatment of blisters etc !! ...
Did you know that Dan Peterson and reenactors of LEG XIIII GMV participated in one of the Nijmegen military marching competitions, in Roman gear? Maybe you can ask him about that sometime!

No they didn't win, one of the regular miltary Special Forces units was champion, if my memory serves......
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:No they didn't win, one of the regular miltary Special Forces units was champion, if my memory serves......
Afaik one cannot 'win' a Nijmegen4Days event. But maybe the troops had an internal competition?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yeah, I think the military awards various trophies for feats accomplished.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Not really a feat of fitness, but a feat of skill. (A bit like an 'Iron Man' competition) was the effort of the trooper of Hadrian's Batavian bodyguard (Equites Singulari Augusti) .

Written on the gravestone of a certain Soranus, a Syrian trooper in a Batavian milliary cohort, Soranus' epitaph records that in AD118 he, before the Emperor Hadrian, swam the Danube and performed the following feats..

CIL 03, 03676 (AE 1958, 0151).

Ille ego Pannoniis quondam notissimus oris
inter mille viros fortis primusq(ue) Batavos
Hadriano potui qui iudice vasta profundi
aequora Danuvii cunctis transnare sub armis
emissumq(ue) arcu dum pendet in aere telum
ac redit ex alia fixi fregique sagitta
quem neque Romanus potuit nec barbarus unquam
non iaculo miles non arcu vincere Parthus
hic situs hic memori saxo mea facta sacravi
viderit an ne aliquis post me mea facta sequ[a]tur
exemplo mihi sum primus qui talia gessi

"The man who, once very well known to the ranks in Pannonia, brave and foremost among one thousand Batavians, was able, with Hadrian as judge, to swim the wide waters of the deep Danube in full battle kit. From my bow I fired an arrow, and while it quivered still in the air and was falling back, with a second arrow I hit and broke it. No Roman or foreigner has ever managed to better this feat, no soldier with a javelin, no Parthian with a bow. Here I lie, here I have immortalised my deeds on an ever-mindful stone which will see if anyone after me will rival my deeds. I set a precedent for myself in being the first to achieve such featsâ€
Quote:Not really a feat of fitness, but a feat of skill.
Not really a legionary either Big Grin D wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Nah not a legionary, better than that!
:lol:

It's not just legionaries that performed great feats of note!!
Look HERE for feats of Late Roman fitness and masculinity!

[Image: DSCN0890.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Most impressive, Robert :lol: .....but what of the "originals" ? Can you or others not recall some feats recorded by Ammianus or Procopius or others ?
And it is a pity Tacitus and Dio don't give more details about the marches of the legions in Boudicca's revolt...Cerialis and the ninth's dash to destruction, and Paullinus' return march from North Wales with the fourteenth and twentieth legions.........

Paul McDonnell-Staff
.......and at the risk of incurring the wrath of the Batavians, the rather boastful record of Soranus is not as impressive as it appears.

Soranus almost certainly"swam" the Danube in full battle kit by clinging to the mane of his horse, who actually did most of the swimming.
...and surely, hitting one arrow in the air with another was a pure fluke ??

Still, it took a brave man (if not a particularly fit one !) to venture into the river in full kit, knowing that to slip off or lose hold of the horse meant instant drowning.

Paul McDonnell-Staff
I can't really recount any figures etc., but I know that Caesar marched his men through the Alp passage and the did a riddiculous amount of miles, I thing about 50 in a day? I remember hearing that a Gurkha regiment tried to replicate the feat, and just managed it.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Caesar was constantly surprising his opponennts wit h his rapid and unexpected troop movements.
Also, Bridging the Rhine in 10 days..... Confusedhock: thats no wee burn, IFRC
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The feats mentioned in the first post could hardly be exceeded, I think. So instead of offering worse performance I only have the task begrudgingly to entertain some doubts, sry. :wink:

The feats are really, ähm, hard to believe. Is it from Polybios? Normally one of the best sources available, but hard to believe in this case. (when I read the post first time, it was a performance of 90 km a day for 10 days??).

While 90 km a day for 10 days is, sorry, more or less impossible, 69 km a day for 15 days is only ... hard to believe. When we look at the sometimes better documented marching performances of the armies of the Napoleonic times, we see that a pensum of 30-35 km a day was a forced march, about 23 km a good march. That being for mixed units of a greater scale than the 7000 Romans; of course the greater the slower. Extreme marches of troops composed only of one arm of the service could reach 60 km a day. That were absolute exceptions for short periods. The corps of Davout marched 122 km in about 45 hours before the battle of Austerlitz. Some soldiers slept during parts of the battle because of exhaustion.

When such marches were done the rate of casualties was enormous. A Prussian corps in 1813 of about 40000 men had casualties of 6000 men due to a forced march of 30-35 km a day over several days. So if the 7000 Romans marched like it was said, only a certain proportion would have reached the goal in my opinion.

And that would have been not that desaster because, as far as I know (but I'm not sure at the moment), Hasdrubals army of about 30000 was already faced by a four legion army of about 40000 even without the southern reinforcements.

Nevertheless a great performance of will and power by the earlier Romans. No wonder they beat every foe in the longer run. And I never believed that the imperial Roman soldiers were better than their predecessors.
Wolfgang Zeiler
During the Judean revolt, the one in the 60s C.E., a legionary named Rufus who, iirc, was originally from Egypt, suddenly broke out of his file and charged over to the Jewish lines and picked up one of their leaders by the ankle and physically carried him back to his own lines as a prisoner. Incredible.
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Soldier Diet and fitness Sparta07 16 16,816 06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius