Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unique Roman table of curse found and decoded
[Image: bodegravenklein.jpg]

www.ru.nl/actueel/nieuws/jaar_2007/juni/unieke_romeinse/

Short summary:
In the year 2000 a amateur archeologist found the table of curse in the Dutch city of Bodegraven. After his find he unrolled the lead table. After that he gave it to the autorities, who did a good job on the preservation. Prof. Haalebos of the Nijmegen University decoded much of the text, which shows the names of 21 roman soldiers, but on the evening before he died he found out the word ‘Avern’. Only now some other archeologists have finished his work. Only 3 lines ar still unknown.

Dimensions: 7 x 17 cm

Museum Het Valkhof, in the city of Nijmegen bought the table and it will be showed there till November the 18th, so everyone who's joining the Nijmegen RAT conference will be able to see it there.
ALA I BATAVORUM
What does it say so far? Only a list of names? How do we know it was a curse? Is there more of these finds?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's mostly a list of names and it's a well known type elsewhere in the empire, but unique for the Netherlands. The fact that it's lead and that it says 'Avern' (from Avernus, the dark underworld) makes it a curse tablet.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks Jasper. Psst.... any word on a torq, or am I being punished for stupidity?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is some doubt about the reading of "AVERN", BTW, but a lead object with names is nearly always a curse tablet.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Thanks Jasper. Psst.... any word on a torq, or am I being punished for stupidity?
No, no, I just require some prodding. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
And $50 or some beer... Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
LOL

Prodding? With a gladius or pilum? :twisted:

I see I now am proud owner of bronze torq too! ohh, feel all dizzy with rapid head expansion, uuuuuuh....... Big Grin lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unique finds not neccesarily Roman jkaler48 2 1,134 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Unique Roman Amphitheatre Slumbers Beneath Sofia Downtown vergilius 2 1,541 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Last Post: vergilius
  Roman wooden table Luca 31 9,153 03-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Last Post: johnlg3