Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporran wearers may need licence
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6234290.stm

Quote:The laws are designed to protect endangered species like badgers and otters, whose fur used to be favoured by sporran makers.

The legislation applies to animals killed after 1994.

Applicants must prove that the animal was killed lawfully before they will be able to get a licence.

Quote:The licence will allow people who possess artefacts made from these species in circumstances compliant with earlier laws to keep them," she said.

"This could be family heirlooms of various descriptions.

"Having a licence for such an artefact, proving it was obtained legally, will ensure they will not be prosecuted or have it taken from them under the new regulations."

I don't know how many of you hail from Caledonia, but could this have any effect on re enactment ? :?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
It reminds me of a true story, about ten years ago in Holland. A man showed, on TV, how to prepare a Roman dinner. One of the dishes he prepared, was mouse-in-wine. And to make sure that the wine penetrated the mice everywhere, he drowned them in wine, so that the wine would enter the lungs of the little animals as well. (This used to be a normal practice, I have been told, which you can also find in eighteenth-century books with receipes.)

Anyhow, our reenactor-cook run into trouble because of animal abuse.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:It reminds me of a true story, about ten years ago in Holland. A man showed, on TV, how to prepare a Roman dinner. One of the dishes he prepared, was mouse-in-wine. And to make sure that the wine penetrated the mice everywhere, he drowned them in wine, so that the wine would enter the lungs of the little animals as well. (This used to be a normal practice, I have been told, which you can also find in eighteenth-century books with receipes.)

Anyhow, our reenactor-cook run into trouble because of animal abuse.

Drowning in wine was also a favoured form of execution for noblemen in medieval times Smile
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Throw in a few ladies and thats how I'd like to go out. Big Grin

Dead is dead isn't it? They don't have a problem with the mouse dying, but drowning in liquor is a problem? They'd rather see it get its head chopped off. Somehow, I guess it matters I guess even though I don't see it. Often it seems animals have more right than we do these days.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Often it seems animals have more right than we do these days.
Imagine the trouble you'd be in if animals had the right to bear arms!! Confusedhock:

Or is that the right to arm bears.... :?:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
hmmm, last I checked, homo sapiens was not an endangered species, they just go around wiping out other creatures who have just as much right to existe, willy-nilly. :roll:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hahaha, no kidding. The day animals have more rights than humans, is when any kind of animal can kill a human from over 300 yards with a 7.62mm. :evil:

Legion: TBD
Big Grin
Trust me, they have more rights. Here if you accidentally hit a goose in the road its a $1,000 fine and a something like mandatory 30-60 days in jail. If I hit a person by accident who wasn't crossing at a crosswalk they would probably dismiss it saying the guy was an idiot.

I fully agree animals need to be protected, but the law often goes way too far and I don't necessarily agree with the way people support the cause of animal rights. The law seems almost overly accomodating towards most causes and it seems unnecessary to violate the rights of humans to the length some animal rights supporters go to. Some groups are good cause at its smallest levels, but financing arsonists and murderers takes it way too far to say the least to the extent they are almost terrorist organizations. It has been pretty well documented showing criminals wanted for rights motivated crimes continuing to receive money from certain groups even while they are wanted. At least thats how they are in the U.S. I'm not sure if its the same in foreign countries.
Derek D. Estabrook
So, where do I send my check? :lol:
They stopped glueing C4 onto the local box turtles, the impact wasn't enough to set it off. Cry
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Anyhow, our reenactor-cook run into trouble because of animal abuse.

Which is totally idiotic, when you think of the way geese are treated (still legal afaik) in order to make pate de fois gras. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey, its just a nice way for the "administrations" to raise funds.
Aplications tax-stamps aproval seals you name it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And you get your average brain-dead couch potato thinking he is "skinned" for the "common good".

No animals have not more rights. We cannot feed burokrats to hungry lions in the amfitheater :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kind regards
Quote:Big Grin
Trust me, they have more rights. Here if you accidentally hit a goose in the road its a $1,000 fine and a something like mandatory 30-60 days in jail. At least thats how they are in the U.S. I'm not sure if its the same in foreign countries.

I hope you never run over an animal in the road in Germany then.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens