Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpening Stones?
I've a piece of volcanic stone that I use for sharpening the mosaic tools. It's a piece I got whilst out in Spain, flat, very smooth and works fine on the hammer and hardie. I imagine a small piece of this would work just as well on swords or knives.
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Article from Wikipedia

Sharpening stone from Avebury, Wiltshire, UK:
[Image: polishingmarks.jpg]

Sharpening stone from Cape Cod:
[Image: sharpstone2.jpg]

Hones? This is an Anglian hone:
[Image: ybb_4419.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yep, works just fine! On volcanics, pumice comes in many grades as well, great for sharpening. Robert, what is that "hone-stone" made of? Is that sharpening stone in situ? I believe I spot at least three species of moss Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Robert, what is that "hone-stone" made of? Is that sharpening stone in situ?
Robert, yes, both sharpening stones are in situ, at least I'm sure of that mossy one! Big Grin
The hone is made of sandstone:
http://www.archaeologicalplanningconsul ... stone.html
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
OK, that would tie into my knowledge of rocks and stones. Nice link, lots of info! Just for those interested, a schist is a metamorphic rock, altered by subterranian heat and pressure to a more crysteline structure. Good cutting capacity. As sandstone and vulcanic stone seems to be in the majority of sharpening applications, these would have to be recommended for inclusion in a typical sharpening set. The average quartzite pebble as stated before would be applied only to remove burrs. Get a hone! :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Well, any self respecting legionary would want their gladius to be razor sharp, so maybe anyold pebble would be a bit hard on your weapon. But I see I have joined in after the comment has been elaborated on..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, it's perfectly possible for the regular sharpening to be done centraly in the barraks or camp by a trained sharpener and the soldier carrying a less abrasive stone to pick up the edge and remove burrs (caused by hacking into barbarian bone and deflecting blows by other weapons). Who is to tell? It would make good sense to carry the larger grinding and sharpening stones in the smith's toolkit. A hone could be shared by a contubernia and passed round the campfire to make ready for next day's plunder and pilage. Too much grinding and sharpening would swiftly turn a gladius into a rapier :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Interesting thread, I have learned much.

Still the question remains. "Roman sharpening stones, anyone have a pic?"

As discussed, there must have been central armourer stones/wheels(?) and personal stones. Are these items displayed in museums or are they 'overlooked'?

I must admit I have not seen any.
Matt Harley from sunny Kidderminster in the UK.

"Me sequimini ad agrum puellae."
Bit of an old thread, but I thought you might see these pictures.

While doing a survey of a collection in a small local roman museum here in Belgium (Grobbendonk). I noticed this roman sharpening stone and I thought about this thread.

As you can see the stone was given a specific shape. The dating isn't very precise but it can be from the 1st century AD untill the early 3rd century AD. It was found inside a Roman vicus. Not much evidence for military occupation, although some segmentata hinges were found (they were presented as 'belt buckles' in the museum :roll: )

[Image: Wetsteen.jpg]

[Image: wetsteen1.jpg]

[Image: wetsteen2.jpg]

So to those who had never seen a Roman sharpening stone: now you have :wink:

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Good find Jef!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In he Vimose marshes, they also found sharpening steels- wooden handles with a long steel shaft. 5th century IIRC?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,369 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer