Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Role & Status of "Praefectus Castrorum"
As a new member, first an apology if this subject is old-hat to others - in which case please direct me to a) the exit, or b) the right string.

It seems that the Praefectus Castrorum (PC) must have been both an experienced soldier and an able administrator, almost certainly a former Primus Pilus Centurion, but not perhaps primarily a fighter. The legions contained arguably more HQ staff than any comparable formation until well into the 19th century, perhaps until WWI. Did the Legion's PC tend to have more experience in logistics and administration than in battle?

The unfortunate end of Poenius Postumus, PC of Legio II Augusta during the Boudican Revolt (he was required to fall on his sword for disobeying orders to dispatch reinforcements), suggests that, experienced soldier or not, a PC could become passive, or might never have gained experience of independent command. A succession of politically appointed Legates and Tribunes might well result in a PC, nominally third i/c of his Legion, keeping his head down and concentrating on the minutiae, thereby losing both self-confidence and, when push came to shove, the confidence of the fighting troops.

It would be interesting to know whether there is any evidence of the detailed role of the PC, both as "operations manager" of the camp and as nominal 3 i/c of a fighting Legion.
[size=150:28rhdg9e]C.Armiger[/size]
(Chris Green)
Salve! Maybe a look at the sources will help us.In his book "De coniuratione Catilinae" Sallust writes about the battle,that was fought between the troops of the roman republic and Catilinas' troops near Pistoria (northern Italy).In this battle C.Antonius,one of the Consuls leading the rebublican forces,could not attend the battle,and was therefore represented by his legate Marcus Petreius,who was,as Sallust writes,a "Homo militaris, quod amplius annos triginta tribunus aut praefectus aut legatus aut praetor cum magna gloria in exercitu fuerat, plerosque ipsos factaque eorum fortia noverat..."
So his characterization as a "homo militaris",who was not only "tribunus" and "legatus",but also "praefectus",indicates that he was both a good soldier and experienced administrator.Besides his name - Petreius - is,as far as I know, not one of the old patrician names,which would prove the theory,that the "praefecti" were probably recruited from the rank of the centurions.I hope,I could help you.
Kai H. Teipel
A primus pilus could be promoted to praefectus castrorum, so a praefectus castrorum could even be a plebeian.

Quote:So his characterization as a "homo militaris",who was not only "tribunus" and "legatus",but also "praefectus",indicates that he was both a good soldier and experienced administrator.Besides his name - Petreius - is,as far as I know, not one of the old patrician names,which would prove the theory,that the "praefecti" were probably recruited from the rank of the centurions.I hope,I could help you.

It's not specified what sort of prefect he was though.
Does the Latin text translate to 'he had been a tribune, prefect', etc? (I'm no good at Latin Smile )

If he had held the rank of tribune, it's very unlikely he had been a praefectus castrorum.
Military tribunes were at least of equestrian status, while centurions (and thus also the praefectus castrorum) were often plebeians.
If I remember correctly, during the principate the Legatus legionis was a senator, ex-praetor and/or ex-tribune. I don't know whether it was the same during the Republican period though.
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Quote:Did the Legion's PC tend to have more experience in logistics and administration than in battle?
A bit of both. Centurions were in charge of the administration of their century as well as commanding it in battle.

Quote:... might never have gained experience of independent command.

Unlikely. Remember, in order to become Praefectus Castrorum, a man had to work his way through the centurionate to the primi ordines (the senior centurions, attached to the First Cohort), culminating in the post of primus pilus. This would be difficult enough, even for highly decorated men.

Take M. Pompeius Aspro (ILS 2662): promoted from centurion of legion XV Apollinaris to centurion of a Praetorian cohort (so obviously a marked man), then primus pilus of III Cyrenaica before becoming praef. castr. of XX Valeria Victrix. Clearly an action man who had won 2 torques, 2 armillae, and 9 phalerae.

Quote:A succession of politically appointed Legates and Tribunes might well result in a PC, nominally third i/c of his Legion, keeping his head down and concentrating on the minutiae, thereby losing both self-confidence and, when push came to shove, the confidence of the fighting troops.
You'd need a legion which hadn't seen active service for the centurions to be able to "keep their heads down". I imagine that such centurions would find it difficult to obtain promotion to the primi ordines, far less the prestigious Camp Prefecture.

The problem is that the career inscriptions of primipilares tend to begin with their primipilate (and, where appropriate, their camp prefecture), so we don't often see what they had done to achieve it.

Take P. Anicius Maximus (ILS 2696), who was primus pilus of legion XII Fulminata, then praefectus castrorum of legion II Augusta "in Britannia" (perhaps during the invasion of AD 43), and went on to the highly prestigious Prefecture of Egypt. He won various military decorations, but we don't know how long he had served as a centurion before achieving his promotions.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Good point Roy. It is always important to avoid confusing similar titles. The Praetorian Prefect (virtually Prime Minister in the later Imperial epoch) would have been less than happy to be mistaken for a Prefect of the Camp.

My interest is particularly in the latter.
(Chris Green)
Quote:Good point Roy. It is always important to avoid confusing similar titles. The Praetorian Prefect (virtually Prime Minister in the later Imperial epoch) would have been less than happy to be mistaken for a Prefect of the Camp.

My interest is particularly in the latter.

I edited my earlier post.
Wrote it in a hurry, added some more info now Smile
somewhere recently (I'll have to start digging for the reference), I read that someone (published scholar), thinks that the Prime Pilus became an equestrian upon retirement, (he would have had more than enough money to do that!) and so the rank of equestrian Prime Pilus is totally logical. Now ...which one of the last 20+ books was that in?????/
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Take M. Pompeius Aspro (ILS 2662): promoted from centurion of legion XV Apollinaris to centurion of a Praetorian cohort (so obviously a marked man), then primus pilus of III Cyrenaica before becoming praef. castr. of XX Valeria Victrix. Clearly an action man who had won 2 torques, 2 armillae, and 9 phalerae.

Quote:Take P. Anicius Maximus (ILS 2696), who was primus pilus of legion XII Fulminata, then praefectus castrorum of legion II Augusta "in Britannia" (perhaps during the invasion of AD 43), and went on to the highly prestigious Prefecture of Egypt. He won various military decorations, but we don't know how long he had served as a centurion before achieving his promotions.

No-one can doubt that on occasion raw talent rises to the top (take Sir William Robertson, CIGS during WWI, who rose from private to Field Marshal). And I am grateful for the evidence adduced that Praefectus Castrorum could be on the route to greater things via "sharp end" military achievement.

Is there any evidence of PCs having gone on to significant non-military achievement, which would support the premise that PCs could be selected for their administrative skills? There were of course surprisingly long periods when legionary activity centered principally around what might be described as "post-pacification" - road and wall building, border guarding during periods of calm, etc. The PC role in a marching camp during war-time would have been markedly different to that in a legionary fortress in times of peace.
(Chris Green)
@Roy:
Quote: Does the Latin text translate to 'he had been a tribune, prefect', etc?
Yes,it does.

Quote: If he had held the rank of tribune, it's very unlikely he had been a praefectus castrorum.

Yes you are right,I looked it up.He was a Senator...Maybe he was a "Praefectus aerarii militaris" or something like that,I'm not sure.Maybe I'll find something about the PCs in Caesars' "Gallic War"... at least there should be a PC mentioned... :?
Kai H. Teipel
Quote:No-one can doubt that on occasion raw talent rises to the top.
I think maybe you've misunderstood the system. The centurionate was clearly devised so that raw talent usually rose to the top (not "on occasion").

You only have to consider the statistics: (60 centurions per legion x 30 legions) + (6 centurions per praetorian cohort x 10 cohorts) = 1,860 centurions in any given year (not counting other Rome cohorts). Only thirty of those (that's less than 2%) could be promoted to primus pilus each year. And a man had to have been primus pilus in order to become praefectus castrorum. Given the Roman emphasis on virtus and gloria, particularly for centurions, the chances of a combat-shy slacker achieving the post of praefectus castrorum seem less than nil!

Quote:Is there any evidence of PCs having gone on to significant non-military achievement, which would support the premise that PCs could be selected for their administrative skills?
You seem to be suggesting that an inexperienced soldier could become praefectus castrorum. Brian Dobson's extensive study of centurions led him to suggest that a typical primus pilus might be aged around 50, having served 20+ years as centurion (e.g. Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt II.1, 1974, 392-434, at p. 411); the same profile applies to the praefectus castrorum. If a man survived long enough to have been selected as primus pilus, then he certainly wasn't inexperienced.

Quote:There were of course surprisingly long periods when legionary activity centered principally around what might be described as "post-pacification" - road and wall building, border guarding during periods of calm, etc. The PC role in a marching camp during war-time would have been markedly different to that in a legionary fortress in times of peace.
But then, (imho) centurions who had managed to serve out their centurionate hopping from one inactive legion to another -- if such men actually existed -- (a) wouldn't be selected for the prestigious position of primus pilus, and (b) wouldn't want to be thrust into such an important position anyway!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
From Vegetius' De Re Militari, book 2 :
The Praefect of the camp, though inferior in rank to the former*, had a post of no small importance. The position of the camp, the direction of the entrenchments, the inspection of the tents or huts of the soldiers and the baggage were comprehended in his province. His authority extended over the sick, and the physicians who had the care of them; and he regulated the expenses relative thereto. He had the charge of providing carriages, bathorses and the proper tools for sawing and cutting wood, digging trenches, raising parapets, sinking wells and bringing water into the camp. He likewise had the care of furnishing the troops with wood and straw, as well as the rams, onagri, balistae and all the other engines of war under his direction. This post was always conferred on an officer of great skill, experience and long service, and who consequently was capable of instructing others in those branches of the profession in which he had distinguished himself.

* the Praefectus legionis agens vice legati

Quote:Yes you are right,I looked it up.He was a Senator...Maybe he was a "Praefectus aerarii militaris" or something like that,I'm not sure.Maybe I'll find something about the PCs in Caesars' "Gallic War"... at least there should be a PC mentioned...

There were so much different types of prefects, we'll probably never know for sure Sad
Just a few of the possibilities, looking at the offices he has held:
Praefectus legionis (another name for the Legatus legionis?)
Praefectus legionis agens vice legati
Praefectus socium
Praefectus feriarum Latinarum causa
@Roy:
Quote: Praefectus legionis (another name for the Legatus legionis?)
Yes,that is right,but as far as I know,this title is just verified for commanders in Egypt,but don't ask me why...

Quote: Praefectus feriarum Latinarum causa

I've never heard that before.What were his tasks?Did he perform some kind of a ritual service?
Kai H. Teipel
Quote:I've never heard that before.What were his tasks?Did he perform some kind of a ritual service?

It was a minor office for a young senator, if one of the consuls was absent during the Feriae Latinae, he replaced that consul.
Iulus:

Quote:Praefectus legionis (another name for the Legatus legionis?)
Yes,that is right,but as far as I know,this title is just verified for commanders in Egypt,but don't ask me why...

I believe that this post was (uniquely?) reserved to an equestrian, governors normally being of senatorial rank. Likely to have had to do with the Emperors' need to keep the vital corn supply under their personal control.

Roy:

Thank you for the Vegetius quote which is the first original evidence I have seen of the principal roles of the Praefectus Castrorum. I note with interest that nowhere does it mention command of troops in battle. I do not doubt for a moment that to reach Primus Pilus he would have had to do so, but it is apparent that the move upwards was made on the back of experience and ability to instruct in the vital support roles, leaving primary responsibility for the fighting line to, on the one hand the Legate and his Tribunes, and on the other to the Centurions. Comparisons with more modern armies are seldom entirely satisfactory, but there is similarity to the jump from Lt Colonel to Colonel. The best of the former do not necessarily have it in them to undertake staff work.

D B Campbell:

Quote:I think maybe you've misunderstood the system. The centurionate was clearly devised so that raw talent usually rose to the top (not "on occasion").

When I wrote "rose to the top" I meant TOP, as my example clearly shows - CIGS of the British Army in WWI and a Field Marshal as "Wullie" became is about as "top" as it goes! A Primus Pilus would equate roughly to a Lt Colonel. The system (at least until well into the Imperial period) virtually precluded former rankers making it to general rank.

I have never suggested that PCs were "combat-shy slackers", any more than I would suggest that de Guingand was combat shy because he was Monty's Chief of Staff and not a brigade commander. What I am endeavouring to establish is whether PCs got to be PCs just because they were good fighters and popular leaders, or whether they needed other skills. Vegetius seems to answer that aspect. Secondly, did successful PCs on occasion move into civil administration, given that further promotion in the army was virtually impossible (lack of status/political influence and age).
(Chris Green)
Of course, if Poenius Postumus, PC of Legio II Augusta, had guessed correctly, from his available scouts and intelligence, and Paulinus Suetonius, and the XIV and XX Legions had been wiped out, he would have been the only formed group to stand the siege, while he awaited help from Rome. maybe he remembered the Varus disaster? He was probably alive, when it happened.

Sometimes you err on the side of caution, sometimes you err on the side of rashness.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on the deployment of auxiliaries and the praefectus castrorum's role Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 11 1,587 04-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Sources about the praefectus castrorum Principe Alessandro 22 5,278 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  The Praefectus Castrorum... Anonymous 4 2,618 05-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Anonymous