Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:150+ segs and the 10's of thousands of man hours of use we've put them through does not make me "historicaly right" but it gives me a unique perspective. Based on that, accumulated stress on fittings, attachment points and straps becomes "in your face" evident.

The breast plates in the pic do slightly cross, but that will be lessened when the subarmalis is added. The breast plate is longer, (also bottom, middle and top back plates, but then the wearer is long (up and over the shoulder measurement).. 24", average guy is 21", smaller guys 19". If the plates were shorter the upper most torso plate would be in his armpit and he would not be able to let his arms hang.

The factors in "squareness" are caused by the angles of the top, mid and breast collar plates where they overlap; the angle at which the lobate hinge is attached between the mid and top back plates; and the twist in the mid collar plate. Very subtle adjustments at any point cause the breastplate to ride square.

Add in a subarmalis made to fit and everything lines up square.

The same adjustments made to one man's shoulder plates will cause the shoulder elements to ride very differently on another man's shoulders

We do not know the measurements of the men the Corbridge hoard plates were made for. We know that segs must fit to maximize comfort, protection and functionality. The armor, when made to those factors, is comfortable to wear, work in and fight in... thus more durable.

When straps are under stress such as when the buckles and straps do not line up they tend to break sooner or stretch more.

Absolutely, Hib. 8) And all you doubters out there - this is what you'd
be hearing from your legionary quartermaster or blacksmith. The
guy's built 150 segs, so you could all show some respect - and order
your segs from this man (cheque payable to my usual account for that
plug, thanks Hib) :wink:

Quote:Side note: We've often joked that the Corbridge hoard was left behind because those sections sat in the armorer's shop for months and months, unused because being small they fit very few soldiers stationed there. I have a small pile of unused small seg sections that fit no one, but we keep them around becasue, who knows, someday they might!

Quite true. And in 2,000 years, some numpty conservator might
excavate the 'Hibernicus Hoard' and assume - wrongly - that all 21st c.
re-enactors wore mis-shapen, badly fitting outcast plates like this and reconstruct us to look like hinchbacks or something. Well why not -
they originally reconstructed that damned Stillfried Newstead with the
freaking lowest girth-hoops at the top, where the metal hooks could
do diddly-squat but rip open your bicep every time you moved. :lol:

Quote:Bishops prefers a squarer fit and my experience backs that theory.

Now Hib, this is not the place to make 'Actress & Bishop' jokes! :lol:

Ambrosius/Mike
[/quote]
"Feel the fire in your bones."

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by ambrosius - 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,471 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,294 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,761 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs