Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:The point that Sean was attempting to make was that this was junk/trash that was being abandoned and that therefore we should not consider the shapes to be reliable.
Tony Dah m

I have been interpreted very incorrectly.

Is not junk the kind of stuff that one might have use for later therefore hangs on to it for later use. ref: kitchen junk drawers?

An aside: As I look into my kitchen junk drawer I see stuff that probably should be trash... but not just yet.... ...!

And do we know for a fact why the Hoard was buried or why the items in it were not simply thrown into the fort's trash piles? That would clearly define the items as trash in my opinion. But that is not what happened. The items (some wrapped in cloth.... was it oiled cloth??) were placed in a well crafted box (opinion), that was covered in leather, egded in bronze, lidded (no hinges or latch) and deliberately buried.

The only facts we have regarding the armor are the armor pieces themselves in their current condition. We can and do drawn inferences and conclusions from those pieces and these opinions and interpretations, sometimes make for educational and/or entertaining discussion.

Whether the Hoard was Junk, Trash or Treasure has no relevance. There is no fact related to these terms... only opinion.

I suggest that the Hoard contents could be junk. I stand by that.. unmoved, firmly footed, defiantly fisted, granite jawed, anchored against the assailing winds yet bending like the ancient mighty noble sheltering ent-like oak in a storm, yielding but deeply rooted, limbs flailing back and forth, whipped by the chilll winds of time, resisting fire and flood, stately in demeanor, wise with time, acutely aware of the insects and rodents burrowing amongst my gripping deeply grown root mass, the avian ones nesting amongst my limbs, twigs and leaves, my self beingness accutely conscious of the symbiosis of fungus and leaf mold for health and disease resitance as well as proper acidity of soil, carefully shielding my roots from compaction with deep layers of decades old mulch, leaves catching rain and dripping said moisture in abundance about the perimeter of my crown, protecting my wind groaning trunk from the potential rot where limbs might crack or peckers burrow or pestering gnawning insects invade, a crown of leaves, protecting those who seek comforting shelter in its shade, providing a seasonal burst of joyous color bringing a few precious weeks of happiness to a land creeping into the deep dark recesses of Autum followed by the biting frigidity of Winter's long nights, yet with slow steady plodding rythmic beat of time and the changing orbit of Gaia sprouting nuts a-plenty, providing an abundance of uses for those who know how to use what is freely given and thus I am called Hibernicus, Conqueror of Winter!! (insert tuba dn cornu music at this point). Pull back camera as Sol rises bright and colorful, rays jutting heaven-ward, a bank of storm ripped clouds on the mountainous horizon showing the oaken Hibernicus on a hil top silhoueted against the newly dawning day, the broad plain of the riverine valley, light relflecting and glinting off the life giving surface of the meandering river, a wisp of smoke rising from thenearby shepherd's shanty, a young woman, ripe with child, the rising sun turning her finely woven linen frock diaphonous as she caresses the face of her husband, looking up into his face with a gaze that spans all eternity, the blue birds of happinness......... ......... ........

...... we interupt this program with the following emergency broadcast signature:
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by Hibernicus - 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,470 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,293 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,760 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs