Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:
Marsvigilia:3jdpeuds Wrote:But if armor is made that directly and deliberately contradicts the known historical evidence, how are these not fantasy pieces?

That's your arguement with Hib, not with me. Don't drag me into the segmentata design jihad part of this thread :lol:

I did not say that you were making fantasy pieces. But that is part of this thread. There is nothing wrong with fantasy pieces per se. I don't own any Conan Barbarian swords from Albion for example. But they are fine things to hang on a wall. As a reenactor however I do my best to conform to the historical record. I may not always succeed. Nor may it always be possible. But that should be the goal rather than "If we change, this, and do this differently, look we can do it better than the Romans." In the first place I doubt that it is truly an improvement and secondly if it's not as accurate as it could be then what is the point?

Quote:
Marsvigilia:3jdpeuds Wrote:The box? Do you think the Romans used wooden boxes like we use plastic trash bags?

No, but I do think that they were used to keep thing from getting underfoot. Wooden boxes and baskets were the Rubbermaid tubs of the day. A well-crafted box is just a workaday container - although to modern sensabiliies a wooden box is anything but mundane.

True. And the items in there may have been of only mediocre value. There was no cache of gold for example. And miscellaneous items often get dumped together. But that is a far cry from saying that it is trash.

Quote:You are ignoring the point of my question, however - how do you deny the use of the items to the hostiles, since you don't have the capabilities to destroy them?

I suggested several easy ways of denying use. Segmentata leathers can be cut, the hinges twisted apart, the plates bent double or twisted, or smashed with a sledge type hammer. Spear tips can be broken off. Etc. Etc. Instead the armor is mashed together but more or less neat. Spear tips were even tied together in a bundle. This may not have been treasure for the ages (except to us) but it neither was it being treated as trash. Scattering in a pit and burying is much more effective method of denial of use than packing in a box where if found it will all be nicely together.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by marsvigilia - 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,470 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,293 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,760 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs