Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
The Hoard box is loaded with stuff.. bits, parts, pieces, scrap... nails, spikes, spearheads, gaming pieces, a bucket.... Lots of interesting and useful things... to us

All I'm sayng is that if it was that valuable to the Romans, why wasn't it carted away? Most of what's in the Box can't be destroyed by burning. Why leave it strewn about for the bad guys? ..... or worse.. in a nice convenient to carry away box? Or maybe that's where the box was deliberately placed... as storage for stuff that might be useful later. I have several "Hoards" if that's the case!. .. one is called the kitchen junk drawer....

Stuff that's deliberately buried isn't always treasure. Sometimes its trash. Archaelogists spend a great deal of time digging in trash deposits.

Not that it proves anything but ... when I was a landscape contractor, and when I repaired irrigation manifolds (banks of in-ground valves) I always reburied the broken parts knowing/hoping that someday... in the future, hundreds/thousands of years in the future... someone would be digging that site as an archaeologist and would come across the parts, new (to me) and old and would have one hell of a time trying to piece it all back together.. exacerbated by the extra bits! :lol:

But, we have no proof about why the Hoard was in the ground do we? None. Just guesses.

Side note: my prior post was editied, understandably and fairly under the circumstance, but it was a one liner accompanied by a smilie and its intent was to evoke a chuckle.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by Hibernicus - 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,500 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,302 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,790 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs