Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED
Dumb question- how did you attach the slide given that the scabbard was already constructed? I'd always assumed that the lugs on the slide were peened over to rivet the slide to the scabbard- have I got this wrong?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Yes, they are merely locating 'pins' as opposed to rivets. For example bone slides have none at all, but they do have a point at each end that can be pushed into a small cut in the leather covering to hold them in place before binding.

The slide is bound to the scabbard.
Thanks mate!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
This was the way I attached the bone slide to my scabbard. I carved shallow mortises for the points into the laths and then covered them with the leather and bound them around with cord.
8)
[Image: sheath.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Here is one I put on the scabbard.
[Image: P7060329.jpg]
Peroni is spot on. As you can see there are pins on the origonal as with the repro you just slide a metal bar down the scabbard and hammer the slide in, this in itself will still need to be bound but the slide will not move around Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Salve Brennius and Peroni,

There are scabbard-slides that have the pins bent towards the top and bottom of the scabbard, I interpret this as a slide that was hammered into the front lathe of the scabbard through the leather before the scabbard was assembled. The two parts of the scabbard was then glued together and the leather or fabric covering was then sewed in place on the back. It would certainly make for a very secure fitting.

What do you think?

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Celer good point, but I have used the same type of slide but if you put a flat bar on the inside. Then hammer the slide in, as the point hits the bar it turns the point back into the wood, I have some pics but not the one good enough to show to show this. I still think unless you can glue or use the leather to hold the slide in place the slide will work loose , as there is a lot of weight put on it. Most slides have areas that a cord or wire can go over or through. I will post the pics of slides when I found good examples Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here are a few Big Grin
[Image: slide1.jpg]
[Image: klo.jpg]
If you look at the points some are curled or have a gradual bend. The pins themselves are not that substantial enough to hold the weight of a sword, and would pull out.
[Image: s.jpg]
These bone examples have small or large holes through them for a wire or cord, or use the leather or cord to hold in place.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
And another Big Grin
[Image: zse.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Very interesting Tony - thanks for posting those.
No problem Peroni Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Hi Tony I was wondering if you ever found time to do a walk through of how you constructed your scabbards chape?

I've been away for a little while but I went back a way through all the old posts and couldn't spot one.

Cheers mate, and magnificent work as always!

J
Jason Rogers
Argonaut will do but I cannot find pics at the moment but will get back Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,699 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,915 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,402 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert