Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumbest Question ever posted: Need help with socks\\udones
I would like to make a pair or two for myself and would like some help. This was all inspired by the Civil War reenactor who walked by and started bitching that my socks didnt look very authentic. As I was trying to pull my Gladius out of his dead carcass (got stuck in his ribs) I thought, "Hey maybe he was right, oh well." Anyway, my questions is would they have worn these in warm weather? I have to as I cut my Caligae a bit to long and they are loose. Socks really help with the fit. if anyone could chime in and help out that would be super. Oh, also if there is a link to a pattern, and what type of fabric to use that would be great as well. I am new to re-enacting so please be nice!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Kevin you have a couple options here.

There have been both "knitted" and cloth socks found. I suggest you look at Matt Amts page on cold weather clothing for the cloth socks instructions. http://www.larp.com/legioxx/coldcloth.html

As for the "knitted" there is some debate if they were actually knitted in the manner we are familiar with, or if they were all naalbinded with a single needle.

I have handled both styles of "knitting" and there is a distinct difference in the appearance. However if they are worn, and washed in hot water the wool will felt and making almost no visable difference in the two styles .

my wife is a life time knitter, and naalbind (er) and she says from the original Roman socks she has seen they were using both methods.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I prefer a lamb skin liner.. we've nicknamed them "Uggones"

Second choice is a folded "boot liner" of heavy felted wool to which additional feted wool soles can be sewn
...to make either use the pattern below..

You'll want enough fabric or lamb skin to overlap the top of the foot and wrap across the front of the calf... ending up with a double layer.

Lamb skin..... super super comfy toasty warm in a generously sized calceus!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
OK, but the problem is I am not making these to keep my feet warm. The light cotton socks I had were used mainly to provide a little more bulk so my caligae didnt fall off cause i cut the straps too big. So I wanted to figure out if it would be unauthentic to make a pair with a lighter fabric, say cotton. Or am I overhthinking this?
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Kevin,
Since you only want your caligae to fit closer you could try inserts on the bottom(like Dr. Schollus)which would lift the foot slightly. I've seen sheepskin(with fur) used and they would definitely work while letting your feet stay cool elsewhere.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Kevin,
Since you only want your caligae to fit closer you could try inserts on the bottom(like Dr. Schollus)which would lift the foot slightly. I've seen sheepskin(with fur) used and they would definitely work while letting your feet stay cool elsewhere.

Sheesh! Thats a damn good idea. Thanks.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
While I'm still thinking you could put an extra layer of leather on the inside of the straps of your caligae( like those sticky rings that protect the holes for ring-binder paper) using glue or a little stitch. Just don't cut them as far.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Yup, build up the inner sole to improve the fit.

More layers of leather... or of felted wool...
.... or hide a modern insole under a thin layer of cow, goat or pig.. a concession to modern feet.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pic\'s posted Nerva 7 1,832 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Antinius Salis