Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Days US Pics
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2kx96vwv Wrote:So there were at least two Late Romans! Big Grin Who are they?
The one in red is Tosh he is a member of Legio XX, and the other was some fat homeless guy who wandered by the site. :wink: (Chuck Russell)

Looking good Chuck! I'm so much used to your avatar that I forgot about your late 3rd-c. outfit.. Looks great!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
http://69.246.199.104/roman/romandays20 ... nwomen.jpg

With Roman spectacles too! Must have been taken whilst setting-up?
Quote:The one in red is Tosh he is a member of Legio XX
Actually that's Greg Fabic, one of our original members, who dearly missed not wearing 1st century and marching on Saturday due to rain on Sunday.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
hey thanks robert! Smile ( i have some linen now so i think i'll make a linen one.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:With Roman spectacles too! Must have been taken whilst setting-up?

Not all groups exclude glasses so you will from time to time see someone wearing a pair.

Here I am (big guy on the left) with my current auxiliary kit; I think I need to add a pelt to my helmet Big Grin

[Image: 530636329_5f78d2bb4e.jpg]
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Quote:hey thanks robert! Smile ( i have some linen now so i think i'll make a linen one.
You're welcome Chuck.
I can imagine it was bloody hot - what was the temperature outside? Wool in may.. And do I spot a linen (god I hope it's linen) undertunic below that? A LONG one? Pfff..
Another tip - make the cuffs narrower, that helps. But yes, a linen one helps more! :wink:

Ah, one I had a white woolen tunic like yours, including the red stripes and dots..
But then it turned out that I had not washed the red wool stilenough, so the thing went pink and I had to paint it purple: I bet I would not have been able to go to a show in Poland! :roll:
Before:
http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2003archeon14.jpg
After:
[Image: 2004pos9.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Not all groups exclude glasses so you will from time to time see someone wearing a pair.

Really?

I guess that I am so used to working in the UK (Especially for organisations like English Heritage), where ALL anachronisms are banned!

We are not even allowed to have plastic refuse bags visible in camp. Or be seen eating an ice-cream in hot weather!
Adrian that is the way I like to do things but it is hard to do with Americans; reenactors of non American stuff either come from American history reenacting where you have glasses as an option or they come from the SCA or a group like the SCA where standards are loose.

I was trying to help form a group for Viking and Norman reenactors in America a few years ago and when I added no glasses to the list of rules you would think I was Joseph Stalin or Hitler himself do to the reaction I received.

Some groups do ban them though; in my 11th century and 15th century groups we ban modern gear like this.

Oh well it is glasses are something I have had to get use too at large multi group event; not everyone plays the same way.
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Quote:I guess that I am so used to working in the UK (Especially for organisations like English Heritage), where ALL anachronisms are banned!
We are not even allowed to have plastic refuse bags visible in camp. Or be seen eating an ice-cream in hot weather!
In Germany one sees glasses more often. But that may signify that eyesight is worse there - or they don't like lenses? Big Grin
We mostly cover our modern stuff, or place it out of sight (although our fellow member Jurjenius was caught last weekend with a can of soup and.. :wink: )

No icecream? How harsh!! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Chuck Russell:26jfow5q Wrote:hey thanks robert! Smile ( i have some linen now so i think i'll make a linen one.
You're welcome Chuck.
I can imagine it was bloody hot - what was the temperature outside? Wool in may.. And do I spot a linen (god I hope it's linen) undertunic below that? A LONG one? Pfff..
Another tip - make the cuffs narrower, that helps. But yes, a linen one helps more! :wink:

the only reason i thru on a linen under tunic was to wick the sweat away from me. it wasnt really that bad, mid 80s really. but i had just marched in my 1st cent gear and when i switched the wool felt hot n scratchy so i put the linen on under it Smile sorry it was seen, i couldnt get it hicked up enough. sigh.

so your sayin i should tapper my sleeves ? i had thought that was a later thng. hmmmmm i plan to make a linen 3rd adn then a linen 4th c tunic... and then a 5th and a 6th and heheheh Wink
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote: when i switched the wool felt hot n scratchy so i put the linen on under it Smile sorry it was seen, i couldnt get it hicked up enough. sigh.
It's not wrong (and it's not like it shouldn't be seen), I assumed only it would be too hot! Big Grin

Quote:so your sayin i should tapper my sleeves ? i had thought that was a later thng. hmmmmm i plan to make a linen 3rd adn then a linen 4th c tunic... and then a 5th and a 6th and heheheh Wink
Yes, you're a very late 3rd or very early 4th c. impression by the looks of you. Your tunic is a bit too late for the ring buckle and the elaborate baldric, but they can go together. But 3rd-c. tunics also had tapered sleeves.
Good plan - you never can have enough tunics. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Most of my group wear thick woolen tunics all the time. They have little or no sleeves, that may have something to do with it.

Or group allows no glasses either, at least not for public activities. Some time ago we where at an event with some people from 1 Römercohorte Opladen and one of them wore glasses...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:http://69.246.199.104/roman/romandays200...nwomen.jpg

With Roman spectacles too! Must have been taken whilst setting-up?

Actually this picture was taken during the "Fashion Show" part of the event and woman wearing the glasses wasn't in character at that point in time as she was the one running the show. Although the Fashion Show isn't really an "in character" event at any rate - it is more about modeling and explaining the clothing and such worn by people from varying times and walks of life.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX