Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour against weapons or weather?
Remember that at least in the begining of the fifth century the time for campaign was close to the summer,with a tendency to August and September.At that time I don't even want to think myself wearing a fur,and more so under my armour!
The belt can be visible,depending on how much you pull the chiton up and how wide the belt is.In this particular picture,this efect is shown under the "sleeves",where every chiton is more loose.
I agree that more interpretations are possible but even if there is evidence for furs being worn(I hope there is evidence so you can put something on you shoulders,there in Germany),i believe these kinds of paintings are supposedly depicting plain chitons.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
The artist is Sergei Karachuk for the book "Ancient Greek Armies"-Astrelia Publishing Mosvow 2004.
He has used lots of staff from Hermitage and Kiev Museums and Kremlins Arsenal. I think it is only in Russian.

I always post to dispell the "Sunny Greece" consept.
Mountainous areas required similar garments and - yes it snow in April!

Kind regards
Yes Stefane,it snows,while in places like Attica,Thessaly,Laconia,Argolis,much of Arcadia and much of even Macedonia,at the same time has temperatures as high as 25 Celsium degrees and close to 40 in summer.Hoplites with furs over or under their panoplies is not logical.Winter campaigns is another story,but these did not exist befor the Peloponnesian War,at the time of the arming scene vase was painted.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:The artist is Sergei Karachuk for the book "Ancient Greek Armies"-Astrelia Publishing Mosvow 2004.
He has used lots of staff from Hermitage and Kiev Museums and Kremlins Arsenal. I think it is only in Russian.

I always post to dispell the "Sunny Greece" consept.
Mountainous areas required similar garments and - yes it snow in April!

Kind regards

I think I have the book in Russian :wink: [Image: mybook.jpg]

Do you have it too Stefane? Smile

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Yes that the one.
Kind regards
Quote:Yes that the one.
Kind regards

Opaaaaa! :lol:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weapons and armour of the greek marine spartacus-033 53 11,475 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr