Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on my custom Spatha Design
Greetings,
I've been lurking on this forum for years and finally decided to join up. I have commissioned a custom Spatha from a Bladesmith friend and I am curious to know what you all think. Now, I think that my hilt design will cause some slight contention, as the find that we are reproducing is a blade from the late 2nd/Early 3rd Century and most reproductions that I have seen stick to a ring hilt for this sort of design. However, to my mind my hitl design is entirely possible and I welcome all comments, suggestions, criticism and feedback.

With that rambling introduction out of the way, here are some of the early concept drawings that I sent to the smith to give him a basic idea of what I'm looking for... [EDIT: My images were too large to attach in the body of the text, the hilt design is attached at the bottom of this post, and far more details can be found at the link below]

[url:3e1wrra9]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/511646269_d7273cfbc7_o.jpg[/url]

I am more than sure that I have made a fair few mistakes in there, please don't feel the need to pull any punches when criticising my ideas.

Regards,
John Linker