Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VEXILLVM Award Vote
Vote now! The poll will run until 31. May, the winner will be announced on 1. June.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
153 viewings of this thread and only 15 votes? Either the 15 voters have each looked 10 times or there are a lot of people not voting- come on, it's your civic duty as members of the Roman Army Talk Forum! Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Possibly because you are forcing us to choose between a variety of people who are of infinite value as contributers, so to choose one over another is an unfair call! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Indeed it's not easy to choose one- but as I say every time, there'll be future awards, so those deserving will always have another chance Wink

Oh and for anyone who notices and wonders why I've removed Kate Gilliver's name, it was decided that like Graham Sumner, Mike Bishop, Ross Cowan and others, her body of work warrants the award without the need to hold a vote :wink:
"Oh and for anyone who notices and wonders why I've removed Kate Gilliver's name, it was decided that like Graham Sumner, Mike Bishop, Ross Cowan and others, her body of work warrants the award without the need to hold a vote " I'd support that.

In fact, Peronis and I were discussing how good her articles were only this afternoon in a very wet and cold Dover castle.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I take it you all had fun? Wish I had been there! Might have saved me from foot-in-mouth disease here! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:153 viewings of this thread and only 15 votes? Either the 15 voters have each looked 10 times or there are a lot of people not voting- come on, it's your civic duty as members of the Roman Army Talk Forum! Big Grin
I wish I were able to judge, but reenactment, although fascinating, is not "my thing". I'm more into the social and cultural aspects of war than in the minutiae of arms and armor. BUT: all of the above-mentioned people have once, twice, or more often helped me with their advice - so I'd nominate them all for phalera awards.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well 'Best overall contributor to research and reconstruction' doesn't mention reenactment at all, so that should not affect whether one feels one can make a choice or not- half the previous winners aren't reenactors: I'm not, neither is Mike Bishop, Ross Cowan, Graham Sumner, and now Kate Gilliver. And the fact that the others are, isn't to do with them being reenactors, but what they've done with respect to making information on the subject of the Roman military to all of us. Now if the type of contribution the nominees are most known for isn't your particular area and thus you consider yourself insufficiently familar with them, that's quite understandable, but don't let reenactment per se be a factor- research and reconstruction can refer to the gladius or the reasons for using it, yes? :wink:
Quote:Well 'Best overall contributor to research and reconstruction' doesn't mention reenactment at all,
:oops: OK, I should have said reconstruction!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
OH, well that's different- definitely if you can't relate fully to half the criteria, choosing a candidate might be a touch difficult :wink:
Tough vote indeed -- so many well qualified candidates.

These members of our Forum (and those mentioned as "auto-qualified") represent a Brain Trust to be proud of.

Big Grin D

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:but what they've done with respect to making information on the subject of the Roman military to all of us.

That helps, so, whoever makes his research easily available for the rest of us to access. In that case, I'll vote for egfroth (Steven Lowe). He's oraganized and posted a LOT of reconstruction research on his website (as opposed to just here on RAT) which makes it much easier to find information on whatever I'm looking for at any given moment.

What an excellent selection of learned men. I hope no one was overlooked. Smile

BTW, was this supposed to be a secret ballot ? :wink:

~Theo
Jaime
It is a secret ballot, Theo. There is no way to see who voted what, unless you announce it, of course.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Possibly because you are forcing us to choose between a variety of people who are of infinite value as contributers, so to choose one over another is an unfair call! 8)
I'd have to agree with this statement.

In the end, my decision came more from mutual interest, I think. Probably not fair, but that's why everyone gets a vote, right?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:In that case, I'll vote for egfroth (Steven Lowe). He's oraganized and posted a LOT of reconstruction research on his website (as opposed to just here on RAT) which makes it much easier to find information on whatever I'm looking for at any given moment.

He has a website?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VEXILLVM Award Matt Lukes 21 5,089 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Aurelianus
  VEXILLVM Award Nomination Time Again Matt Lukes 20 4,877 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  VEXILLVM Award Vote Matt Lukes 16 3,267 09-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Cornelius Quintus