Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What books would you like published?
D B, dont forget 'Arghhhhhh!', and 'swine hund' and 'halt englander' and 'handy hoch' not to mention 've have vays und means of making you talk' :lol:
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Late Bronze Age (i.e. Mycenaean) and Early Iron Age warfare in Greece.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Wow! Thanks for so much input. Forgive me not commenting on each one right now, but some of these sound really good and I will certainly give them each due thought. Big Grin

Phil
I'm glad you asked this question because I do have a book in mind that I have always wanted.

I want a complete, illustrated, multi-volume, chronological history of Rome with full color photos and maps, that is compiled purely from narratives by ancient authors. Start with Livy, then Polybius, then Appian, then Cassius Dio, etc. Whoever has the best narrative for the time period covered should be inserted into the chronology. It should read like a huge novel.

I want to stress that it should be arranged chronologically! There are a thousand books that give detailed accounts of certain aspects of Roman history, even Appian takes this approach, but it is harder to find a place where the chronology is preserved. There are advantages to teaching history in pieces, but information can also be lost that way. What happens before what is one of the most important clues to understand why history moves the way it does.

I think such a volume of books would be a very good read. I will put this together someday if nobody else does, but first I want to read the sources in the orginal Latin and Greek after I learn how. I'm still young, I have time!
Rich Marinaccio
Well, you know where to reach me when you finally get round to it! Smile
Dacian wars.
Death in Roman empire- all aspects.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Quote:D B, dont forget 'Arghhhhhh!', and 'swine hund' and 'halt englander' and 'handy hoch' not to mention 've have vays und means of making you talk' :lol:

Oi! Confusedhock: I already mentioned those imortal phrases! :lol: :lol:

Well, ok, a couple of them.......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would like to see a good, comprehensive study of the Horseguard. If the pretorians are worthy of their own book, then so are the Horseguard.

Also, a tome on Squamata, similar to Bishop's work on Segmentata.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Is this not what Speidel's Riding For Caesar covers?
Quote:Is this not what Speidel's Riding For Caesar covers?
Well, blow me down! I'll have to look into that one. Thanks.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:I would like to see a good, comprehensive study of the Horseguard. If the pretorians are worthy of their own book, then so are the Horseguard.

Also see 'Die Denkmaler de Kaiserreiter' (also by Spiedel) The grave stones and altars of the Equites Singulari Augusti. Excellent book.
Squamata on its own would not be commercially viable, I'm afraid. Sad

Phil
Mind you, I'm not sure if it is still in print, and many of you guys will know better than me how out of date it is. It's a long time since I read it.

Phil
I would love to see a catalogue-type volume on Roman military tombstones- Jasper says there are some 750 known, but there's no even nearly comprehensive photo source save the RAT Imagebase it seems and that has only some 224 listings at present.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Well, moneybags....... get out there with a camera and take a European holiday! Then you can send them to Jasper so he can finish the database! :wink: Then you guys could do the book! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel