Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What books would you like published?
I'll second that Celer! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Excuse me, the term is 'Ovis connoisseur'...
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
ER...um..was that comment directed to moi? :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yep, I think so. He means your 'sheep-shagger' comment. I always thought that was for the Welsh. The Irish are more along the lines of potato-munching bog-hoppers, if you are going to be rude to them, which of course I am not - especially since I married into a bunch of potat.... Now, I know he started it with his tunic-lifting thing, but can we all get along nicely again please?
Quote:I'll second that Celer! Big Grin

Let me add a Third voice to that chorus.

There seem to be quite a few good books in German that have yet to make it into English. Would that I spoke, or read, any language other than English, however... :oops:

I think translations of these classics might sell very well indeed.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Hi,
a detailed modern study of the praetorian guard! There are two in depth studies about the praetorian guard - one in Italian language, one is French; one is from 1938, one from 1939... And then there's one short Osprey and one German book (I don't know anything about this one apart from the name).
A new book in English about the praetorian guard is needed and I believe this topic can be quite popular even among general readers.
Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:I would like to see some more published about the Dromedarivs.

Quote:Dromedarius? Camel troops? Not sure it would support a whole book I'm afraid.

I have already written an article on Dromedarii. Since then I have collected more material on them but not enough to publish an entire book on the subject. However I would be more than happy to work with someone else and provide illustrations for a book on the Roman Army in the east which also had pictures of the desert forts. Many of them hardly need reconstructing as they practically survive intact but are virtually unknown to the majority of readers who live in the West!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Okay, let me look into this Junkelmann chappy and see how feasible it is. I have to confess I don't know the work, probably because, to my shame, my German doesn't extend beyond what I learnt from war comics when I was a kid.

Phil Sidnell
Gee, you make feel so much better hearing that Phil! :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:... my German doesn't extend beyond what I learnt from war comics when I was a kid.
Ah, the wonderful Commando Comics of the 1970s.
So, your German vocabulary is limited to "Achtung!" and "Hände auf! Ich habe ein Flammenwerfer."
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
What about "Schnell! Schnell! Hande hoch, englander!"?

my memory of the seventies is a little hazy now! Confusedhock:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Okay, let me look into this Junkelmann chappy and see how feasible it is. I have to confess I don't know the work, probably because, to my shame, my German doesn't extend beyond what I learnt from war comics when I was a kid.

Phil Sidnell

I have heard that a translation project is already being considered in Germany. If that has come to nought by now (it wouldn't surprise me, but it needs checking), can I send you my resume as a translator?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:Hi,
a detailed modern study of the praetorian guard! There are two in depth studies about the praetorian guard - one in Italian language, one is French; one is from 1938, one from 1939... And then there's one short Osprey and one German book (I don't know anything about this one apart from the name).

I think I know the one you mean. Don't go there.

Volker Bach
Quote:The 'real everyday life' is not really my sphere. I perhaps should have been clearer that I adhere to what I like to call Just War Theory - no sociology, no cultural studies - just war! But seriously, it is really just military history - for now at least.

Just military histopry or just war? Because the life of the military and its peacetime duties are very interesting in themselves. I, for one, am still waiting for a book on low-level warfare and law enforcement in the Roman Empire.

Quote:Books aimed specifically at reenactors might be worth thinking about - but how many of you are there? For that matter, how many members does RAT have? Anybody know? I know there have been some general ones over the years, such as Living History but I think that was way too broad. You'd also want lots of colour pics wouldn't you which are expensive to reproduce of course. Hmmm, food for thought.

I don't think aiming books solely at reenactors will work, but stuff like what Tempus in Britain and Philipp von Zabern in Germany do should have a fairly broad market appeal. Books on a fairly specific topic, looked into in detail, with plenty of illustrations and tie-ins both with archeology, history, experimental archeology, and reenactment.

Volker Bach
Quote:
philsidnell:qu8zd81b Wrote:Okay, let me look into this Junkelmann chappy and see how feasible it is. I have to confess I don't know the work, probably because, to my shame, my German doesn't extend beyond what I learnt from war comics when I was a kid.
I have heard that a translation project is already being considered in Germany. If that has come to nought by now (it wouldn't surprise me, but it needs checking), can I send you my resume as a translator?

The book was published in 1986 and would need to be REALLY revised before I would consider translating it. And if any of the tales I heard about Junkelmann are even half correct, I doubt that this feasable. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)